UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

Ewww I'm not sure whats worse :laughingsmiley:

Well done CP, what a star Milo is, he definately loves his jumping :wub_anim:

Hows everyone doing in this weather, the river has broken its banks and our fields are sodden and the boys very bored already which is never a good thing :rolleyes: I wish I was a lady of leisure so I could bring in at lunchtime, I guess we have been lucky last few winters and had it quite dry, spring seems a very long way away right now!

Beautiful sunny day here, how unusual! Back to normal tomorrow with high winds and yes more rain, the only horses in the fields are the ornaments, babies and shets, non of which are hard to bring in as they are waiting at the gate at 4pm. If it's really bad all come in at lunch time, that includes the horses in the winter turnouts, I think the horses are just as sick of the weather as we are! It only takes a small rain shower to have pools showing on the land, there is nowhere for the water to go anymore.

I have chosen a good time for my knee to blow up like a balloon and prevented me from doing much more than sit on the sofa with an ice pack and moan, not good for YO Sam as my three increase her workload even though non are rideable!

Milo's field resembles a swimming pool in places. I do feel sorry for him stood out in this horrendous weather, he does have natural shelter, a bale of hay to munch and is toastie warm in his rugs so I know I shouldn't worry. It is gross though.

I havnt ridden all week but going out for a hack with my friend tomorrow :)

So long as he has something to eat and is nice and warm, am sure he will be fine :)

Blue was a bit naughty in his lesson on Friday - he just wasn't listening at all for the first 20 minutes. When he started listening again and I asked him to canter, he just did a rushy trot, so I rebalanced him in the trot and asked again, this time with a small flick of my whip. He then bucked into canter, so I brought him back and asked him again and he was fine then - went into a really nice canter and maintained it around the school. I think he was just cross at being flicked with the whip :rolleyes: After that though, his behaviour was much better and mini valegro returned :)

Even the vet is not sure what's going on with Wanda, she is only 1/10th lame so he says to ride her out starting with 10 mins BUT her saddle constantly slips back. He's certainly not convinced she needs to retire yet, just need to get her various bits right but each wrong bit bounces of another. Vet wants to have the extentions removed on her back feet and I'm sure he's right on this one, I've never been keen on them and tit could be what is making her back end wrong and causing some of the saddle problems but saddle slip is more often caused by front limb lameness. Arrrrrgh!

Wanda is not good to diagnose, she will not react to hoof testers or will scream in horror if they are even shown to her, her back can be checked over with no triggers evident and next minute she will leap into the air as if she is being stung. Her reactions are never the same two minutes together, I think she just likes to keep me guessing.

How is Wanda getting on now PW?

Blue has been a bit 'challenging' this week. They had a worm count last Wednesday, so had to stay in until the results came back (which was Friday afternoon). In our lesson on Friday, it was really foggy, so that combined with no turnout for a few days led to him being spooky. He did end up working really well, poor bugger ended up with icicles on his ears though it was that cold. The yard could be turned out on Saturday and Sunday, but I was working all weekend, and the YO has stopped offering weekend turnout and bring in services. When I went up on Saturday night, he was in a real grump, and when I gave him his tea, he put his ears back and pulled a face at me. When I went to go past him, he spun around in his stable and went to rear and spin and kick out :angry: I got myself out of his stable as quick as possible, as I was at the yard on my own, so didn't want to get injured. On Sunday after I has worked, I turned him out in the school so he could have a run around - he went absolutely mental. He galloped around for about 5/10 minutes and was bucking and going crazy. After he had got that out of his system, he came over to me and started nuzzling me. Because the fields are that muddy at the moment, he wouldn't have been able to do that in the field, so I think it definitely did him some good, as I rode him last night and he was as good as gold :)

Wanda had the physio tonight, she is sound in all paces and both reins in the arean, couldn't trot up on the road because of the ice. Physio was horrified ath the size of the extentions on Wanda's back feet and she is sure that is what is causing the saddle problem as the poor horse can't use her back end, she's lost loads of muscle and has gone cow hocked! Have to ring the farrier tomorrow and ask him to reduce the extentions by half and in a couple of weeks take them off totally. I'd sooner have her shod more often than have her messed up like this.

Then there's the cushings, I'm convinced the meds do not agree with her at all and am seriously considering taking her off them and dealing with whatever comes up. Watch this space!

Another how's Loki?

Naughty Blue! Glad he managed to let off steam safely and hopefully now back to his usual self :)

Good to hear Wanda is sound, hopefully when the shoes are sorted things will come together :flowers: I'd go with your gut on the medication, have you looked at the herbal route for treatment?

Hows Milo now CP, staying where he should be?!

Loki is fine, physio gave him the all clear on Monday didn't even need to treat him so really pleased. Getting a bit frustrated with life at our yard as the school is old and not maintained it seems recently its either frozen or flooded, you can't ride on the track as it's more of a trench than a track, which is fine as don't rely on it normally but not helpful when trying to work on lateral stuff when I could do with the assistance of the fence. I actually rode in the field yesterday as had day off work and the footing was better than the school.

Also a note has now gone up saying we are only allowed to jump in the school on Sundays because she doesn't want to harrow more than once a week, we have already been banned from lunging in there and can only jump at all if the school isn't too dry :huh: None of us jump much or great heights so its a bit frustrating especially when I need to practise and Sundays don't always fit in with my plans, sorry rant over :blush02:

What are you moaning about, some of us don't even have a school :laugh:

Seriously though very frustrating, i always used to be the moaning person at my last yard as the school was never raked and there were always huge ruts which is no good. Very annoying :(

Glad things are looking up for wanda :flowers:

Milo has stayed put this week :laugh: I've booked in for show jumping next Saturday so been doing some long hacks to get him fit enough!

Glad Milo has stayed put :)

Our YO looks after the school really well - felt really guilty on Sunday, as they had just harrowed it and rolled it and it had frozen a bit. Blue left a massive deep track around the top end where he had been charging around like a nutter. Went back and filled in the worst of the holes once I had put him back in his stable :laugh: He was turned out in the school today with 2 of his friends for an hour. Apparently him and Sol both ran around like nutters and Sparky just mooched around trying to stay out of their way :rolleyes: It is frustrating though when there are so many rules in place, just because the YO can't be bothered to do the basic jobs like harrowing the school :angry:

Fingers crossed that sorting Wanda's shoes out makes her happier - I know that Blue is a lot happier since we have changed farrier and he has thicker shoes on :)

Ages since ive posted......have stopped going to the riding school and now having lessons at Phoebes yard, instructor that used to teach at the riding school is coming once a week. Last week did a bit of flatwork and some jumping, Phoebe is very keen and I wasnt quite relaxed so felt like a tug of war but we both chilled out by the end. This week we did gridwork, 7 poles curved slightly starting off cantering all on the bounce, then raising alternate poles and ended up with jumps and spread. Really really enjoyed it. She of course is a star :wub: