UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

Glad milo is feeling better :flowers:

Have pretty much decided that as it has thrown it down most of the day here (according to my patients anyway!! Could have been snowing for all I know :rolleyes: ) , am not going to go. They go out on summer grazing tomorrow, so am going to school/hack him and then throw him out in the summer field - am sure he'd prefer that too!!

Hope you got on ok today Clare, jump looks scarily large, logs or not :ohno02:

Glad Milo is more like his normal self and he stops being a monkey in the field.

Gooster im guessing all horses would prefer grazing to a show.

Rode Boysie yesterday (are you seeing a pattern), he was a very good boy and we were working on our bends, doing figures of 8 in canter.

Today Boysie again, canter poles at different places in the school with a teeny tiny raised pole to jump :ohmy:

At the end we jumped a small ditch (I did it 4 times) :ohmy: first time I was sitting like a passenger so was left behind a bit as he jumped but the other 3 were better :jumpy:

Think im ready for Badminton now :laughingsmiley:

How did you get on Clare? Am eagerly awaiting an update and photos :biggrin:

Ive had a lovely weekend - took Milo out for a hack yesterday and he was very chilled and let him stretch his neck out. Today I spent the entire day at the yard, even found time to clean my tack :ohmy: I started schooling him then saw the young girls on the ponies were whizzing round over the XC jumps in our top field so went over to join them. Milo was so well behaved and didnt hot up at all just because he was in an open space which I was pleased about as my competition next week will be on grass. Just need to do some more jumping practice this week to get my striding sorted out and we should be good to go :) Really excited :biggrin:

We're having a big move round of the horses at the yard tomorrow. We have decided to split all the horses into pairs and have a field each and instead of rotating fields we're just going to stay in the same field and be responsible for managing our own area. That will eliminate any bickering about whos going in which field etc and it means we can section off and rest as much or as little grass as we like. I feel a bit guilty because this has all kicked off because of Milo's behaviour and one owner is a bit pee'd off about having to move. Ho hum.

Sounds a really sensible option with the fields, and in the long run should benefit everyone. There is always someone who moans :rolleyes:

Woohoo EAD has been jumping :biggrin:

I had a brill day :biggrin: Didn't start well with the alarm going off at 4.45am but it was worth it.

Dressage went so much better than last weekend, other than stoopid here going wrong :blush02: I have never done that before and what a time to do it. But came out feeling much happier with how we had gone.

Then off to show jumping which is always our weakest bit and the bit I have avoided doing training for :rolleyes_anim: and was lucky to come out with 12 faults, he was very strong and bullish.

XC time and he took to the challenge really well, a bit green in places mainly on the flat. We did have a :ohno01: moment at the double of pheasant feeders which he decided to do on one stride instead of two, and I walked that distance and it was a true 2 strides, he made it feel easy. Locked onto the skinnies and we took the short route over a skinny wooden pig near the end.

When I checked the scores we had 34.5 dressage so if I hadn't messed up it would have been 32.5, obviously 12 on that from sj and we were clear xc with 0.4 time penalties. We were in the places right up until the last lot of scores came in but it was inevitable we would drop but we finished 14th out of 38.

I really can't believe it I am so so proud of the boy :wub:

Got a lovely pic from photographer which i'll scan when back at work and have some videos which i'll sort out tomorrow as knackered now and off for bath and bed - thankfully I had the foresight to book tomorrow off work :laughingsmiley:

Fantastic!! Well done Clare :partytime: Can't wait to see pics :)

CP, I think the new field arrangement sounds like a good idea for everyone! However you are never going to please everyone initially :flowers:

Blue went out onto his summer grazing today, one of the horses tried to herd him and kick him, so it got both barrels from Blue and he buggered off :laugh: :rolleyes: Went down to check on blue after I had cleaned his stable, and he was happily munching grass :wub:

I thought you all might like to see this. Our friend/riding instructor does pastel art in her (not so much) spare time. She showed us her portfolio of work and we asked her to do a picture of Pablo and Welina...........she has captured them perfectly :biggrin:

DSC_0005640x426.jpg

Wow lovely painting :wub:

Here are the videos.

Dressage (after I got lost :rolleyes: )

Showjumping (you are allowed to laugh :laugh: )

XC - the ditch was tricky as on the approach the ditch isn't visable, you can see he only catches sight of it on take off, so we get a bit of a strange jump and bless him he still jumps the roll top even though I am out of balence :wub: And afterwards you can see him have a good look at the pig :laugh:

Oh wow GO LOKI :wub: His SJ round is what I am expecting Milo's to be like at the weekend :laugh:

My dressage saddle arrived this morning, went for a Wintec Pro, looks fab so far, need to go and buy myself a dressage girth at some point this week!

So when I get to my competition on Sunday, I take it I have to go and book in and then put my number up on the board. Where do you think is a good place for me to go? I am guessing there will be a fair few in my class, I think last year had about 50 odd. Id like enough time to warm up and watch a good few people go before its my go. Should I be expecting anything through the post after I sent my entry in?

Oh lucky you having a dressage saddle :biggrin: My saddler came out on Friday and made some alterations which have definately helped with his way of going but she said although it fits him okay it does nothing for me in fact the opposite so I now need to get a dressage and jumping saddle :unsure: Sadly I haven't robbed any banks lately so don't know really where to start!

Yes you normally go pick your number or bib depending on what they are doing, if its a bib you may need to pay a deposit and then make your way to the warm up steward and see how things are going and how many are on the board. I think you'll have to play it by ear on the start board (guessing they aren't giving times?) I like to get it over with so would probably put my number down for say 10 horses time which I would think would give around 25 - 30 mins. I have never been to a comp there so don't really know the set up. Im sure it will all work out on the day :flowers:

Here's my pic from Sunday(by kind permission of John Britter Photography)

Mattingley002.jpg

And little one coming off the step no 15.8.010

Linky

Edited by Clare

Wow, I want Loki's free walk!!! I bet you get great marks for that!!! He certainly looks forwards in his SJ :laugh:

I reckon you'd be better going halfway through the class CP, that way you can watch a few rounds, then have plenty of time to warm up, but also let him catch his breath in case of a jump off (not that I know anything about jumping classes, but that seems sensible to me :unsure: ).

Good news about your new saddle, does the pro have a suede seat? If it does you'll love it - I can't ride in anything else now I'm used to a suede seat!!

Mum and dad are picking my trailer up tomorrow night, I was hoping we could do it today as am off today, and am on a late shift tomorrow, but the woman we are buying the trailer off is busy tonight :rolleyes:

I do envy you having Loki, he really is a star in the making! Minor crit for the dressage, lift your hands and lengthen your leg, think about sitting on your back pockets and going down into the stirrup. One or two handbrake turns in there, balance and ride the corners!

Show jumping was like the Grand National, :laugh: he was really going for it and the XC was brill as usual.

I had a change of mount on Sunday, rode Bob the Cob, a simulator! It was fantastic fun and to be able to assess what you are doing and make corrections without having to think about the horse is great! I want one! :biggrin:

Yes position is shocking at the momemnt, I am having saddle woes again. It was only altered the day before and although it thankfully took me off his forehand I think my balence was slow to catch on, and its now giving me back pain :rolleyes: Hopefully this afternoon's trip to chiropractor will sort me out :rolleyes:

Bob the Cob sounds my kind of horse :laugh:

CP are you able to walk the course the day before?

Well, things have got interesting at the farm since they have moved onto summer turnout!! Blue has a new best mate, and they stick together all the time. When I got him out of the field to go for a ride, he was constantly shouting and snorting. The whole time I was tacking up he was shouting, then I got on him and he still kept shouting. All the way down the lane he was shouting and felt like he was going to explode. When we got into the country park though he was fine and we had a trot and even a canter (with us in front :biggrin: ). Then when we were going back to the farm, he started shouting again :rolleyes: When I went to put him back in the field, his new best friend came trotting up to meet him :wub:

One of the other geldings has decided that he is controlling the 2 mares in Blue's field, and apparently Blue has been teasing this gelding, by running up to him, pulling faces at him and running away quickly :rolleyes: :laugh: Blue then waits till Saracen is bored, then starts it again. Everyone was sat watching them in the field on Sunday evening, and now think that Blue is ace!! Unfortunately the mares had to be removed from this field today as Saracen won't let the owners of the mares catch them and it was getting dangerous, so the mares have been moved. Apparently this has been the first time Saracen has been like this, but the alpha mare went to rainbow bridge a couple of months ago, so I think that they are just trying to sort out the pecking order again.