UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

Here you go - and im SMILING :laugh:

milofrensham.jpg

What a lovely picture, that jump looks like bechers brook!

I've just come back from my lesson on Danny, not my favourite horse but he's ok. Towards the end of the lesson which was all flat work 2 of us (there were 3 in the lesson) did a walk to canter transition and my second one felt really good, nice to finish on a high.

Stupid iPhone won't load your picture :angry: Will have to power up the laptop tomorrow :rolleyes:

Walk to canter, that sounds good, we have only ever done that once (accidentally!!!)

In more of a trailer dilemma now... Spoken tonight to the woman who I was originally buying the trailer from. She can't say when it will be available as they want to be 100% sure about their box before selling the trailer. I understand this, and she has said she'll understand if I want to look elsewhere in the meantime. However she also said that if I want to use it and they aren't using it, I am more than welcome to do so and she won't charge me. So am now not sure whether to keep holding on for the original trailer, and hope they aren't using it when I want it, or to forget that one and keep looking :unsure:

Walk to canter is lovely when it come together, I always get a much nicer canter too.

What are the specs of the trailer you would be waiting for? Is it worth waiting for or could you get something just as nice elsewhere?

Loki got some brownie points with YM yesterday as the two naughty ponies he shares a field with trashed the fencing and got into the field next to them, YM found Loki still in his field all on his own looking a bit confused :wub: YO let him in with them as a reward as that was their next field anyway :laugh:

Aww good boy Loki :wub: :wub:

The trailer I am waiting for is still an ifor but a hunter 505. Floor has been replaced by current owners and it's a nice trailer. Am tempted to wait for this one as it is nice, and since I can use it when they aren't using it, and my YO has offered me space in her trailer for the next dressage in June. But then another part of me thinks I want my own NOW!!! :rolleyes:

Collected my new saddle from mum and dad's today - tis luffley :wub: Have emailed my saddle fitter to see if she will come out and check it, as it rocks a bit when on his back (not ridden in it), but I reckon she'll be able to fit it to him.

Blue has also cut his leg either yesterday or today (I don't do Wednesdays as I work a late shift), so was cleaning it up and then realised that the YO had already done it and put purple spray on it!! I love my new farm!!!

Hmm might be tempted to wait as well, especially as you can use it for free.

Ahem Loki obviously decided being such a good boy was very bad for his street cred with the other boys, and it was embarrassing having his mum spread it over the internet as well, so yesterday was the only one to find that if you walked through the hedge :wacko: there was only a small xc jump between him and a very lush green field, which was far too tempting to chance to pass up.

It apparently really annoyed the two ponies as they weren't brave enough to follow him :laugh: He had a lovely gash on his hind leg but thankfully looked worse (having white legs!) that it was and all fine and sound this morning :biggrin:

Oh Loki :laugh: I remember when I found Earl with a cut on his leg and the blood on his grey coat made it look horrendous - in reality when I got him up to the yard and cleaned him up the 'horrendous gash' turned out to be about 1cm big :laugh:

Im having a real riding block at the moment. Up until a few weeks ago, during a schooling session Milo would be tuned in to me and on the bit for more or less a whole session and he feels fantastic when he works properly. I literally feel like I could do anything with him.

In the last few weeks he's regressed to leaning and being really heavy on the forehand, rushing into the corners like he used to, and his previous flexibility has disappeared and he's completely rigid. I cant get any bend or flexion out of him at all. I schooled him for what felt like hours today, despite loads of transitions, leg yiedling, turn on the forehands, rein backs, circles...I just could not get anything out of him. Its like driving a boat, he's just straight. And rushy. And disgusting. Basically like he was before. :mecry:

In my head im blaming myself and thinking its my fault - which it could be. Im going to call out my chiro/back man to have a look at him to see if he's tweaked something somewhere thats stopping him from working properly. Have got a lesson tomorrow so will get my instructor to jump on him for a while and see what she thinks.

I guess we cant all be good all the time :laugh:

Norty Loki! :biggrin: Hope his leg is ok.

Cabbagepatch I think you are spot on there, would think he has tweaked something with everything changing so dramatically.

Wanda had a nose bleed again today, it was only a little one but she does keep doing it. Vet says unless she pours blood from both nostrils it's nothing to worry about but of course I do! Some TBs can be prone to this so it's probably her TB side doing it! :rolleyes:

My shets have had a good spring clean again today, how can such tiny ponies have so much hair? Banner is still rather cross about being split up from Lilli and has temper tantrums on a regular basis, Lilli couldn't care less. I took Banner for a walk down the road, she squeaked all the way and tap danced if I stopped! :laugh:

CP definately get him checked and it will be interesting to hear what your instructor thinks, but I went through very similar patterns with Loki, two steps forward and then three back, looking back I can see the pattenn now but at the time it was very frustrating and confusing :flowers: If nothing else comes to light the best thing I found was to go back to basics and work through it.

There is a reason Shetlands are only tiny, can you imagine them in a bigger package :ohmy: :wub:

I am so nervous about dressage tomorrow, I never get this nervous with jumping so why is dressage so scary :unsure: :laugh:

Dressage requires control :laugh:

Did you find there was any reason for that with Loki? To be honest when I think that I havnt even had Milo 6 months yet I should be really pleased with his progress - but its just so fustrating when all the hard work goes out the window! Im one of these people who wont let it slide, i'll be on his case now until I can find out what the problem is and get him back to how he was! Ive got a lesson at 3:30 today so going to head up to the yard shortly and give him a bit of a massage and do some stretches with him before I ride to see if that makes any difference. Probably not but worth a try!

Dont think I mentioned last week, have booked Wheatlands SJ/XC, 15th of May - 2 weeks tomorrow :ohmy:

Well my instructor rode him for 20 mins and she agrees with me that he's not right at all :mecry:

He's gone from being reasonably supple and flexible to being like a plank of wood. She thinks he probably pulled something on the sponsored ride and its taken a week or so to appear as an injury. His left bend is OK (still not as good as it was) but on the right he just cant do it. She said he wasnt being naughty, he was just saying "i really cant do that!". She said that she was also struggling to get any kind of contact out of him (which makes me feel so much better :biggrin: ) which is also unusual for him as he normally loves rounding and using his back. On the plus side, in an attempt to respond to the aids without bending he did some lovely leg yielding and lateral work :laugh:

Just heard as ive been typing that my chiro man is coming Monday afternoon :)Im actually supposed to be at a dog show but Mr Milo is much more important!!

Hope he can sort him out :flowers: My physio always says it can take a couple of weeks for things to come to light, I guess it can take that long for everything to cease up.

For such big beasties they certainly are all fragile :rolleyes: