UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

More sadness, one of the ladies on the yard had to have her horse put to sleep today, he was only 5 years old but had severe arthritis in his hocks and it was involving the upper joint. He was her first and much loved horse and she tried so hard to get him right but it wasn't to be, she's devastated.

Run free at the Bridge Archie.

Run free Archie :GroupHug:

I still can't believe it happened. It all happened so quickly. It was all in slow motion. I spent the rest of yesterday feeling totally numb. At the time, when everyone was with him, I couldnt even cry I was in so much shock. But I made up for that yesterday afternoon!

He was such a kind, gentle horse who had the manners of a saint and he was brilliant for me in the 9 months I had him. I wouldve loved to have taken him out and done some fun rides next year but it was not to be. We had some lovely quiet hacks together at the crack of dawn round the lake in peace and tranquility (I will remember these the most) and I knew I could trust him 150%. He had such a sad life and im so proud I was able to get him out of the hell-hole yard he was at before and that he had a quiet, relaxing life with his pony friends before his horrific accident yesterday.

Im going back up to the yard this afternoon to thank everybody for being fantastic yesterday. There was me, my dad, the vet, riding instructor, another owner, earls 'mum' and her partner, the YO and her daughter standing round. So there were 9 of us with him, and everybody stepped in and was so helpful and practical and made the rest of the day so easy.

:mecry:

Incidently, I was right regarding the colt's owner not having taken it in that she'd had her marching orders... even despite having put it in writing... so on the third day, this 'ogre YO' decided to have a quiet word with her husband, who is a lovely chap, and whom I'll be sorry not to have around. He was, surprisingly, not only very understanding, but resigned to it happening sooner or later. I gather there's not a yard (private or professional) locally that she's not been sent packing from, so goodness knows where she'll go next.

Sounds like you've have a lucky escape in getting rid of her :flowers:

I would think an "oldie" even though it sounds like Merlyn doesn't agree he is that :wub: would easily manage an hours hacking, probably more eventually if fit and healthy and being ridden regularly. My friend has a lovely old mare who is 30 yrs old, her legs are really not good now but she still takes her for a short pootle four or five days a week, she feels it keeps her going :wub: On the other hand there is a horse at the yard who is also 30yrs and is still very lively and hacks as much as any horse on the yard and probably faster :laugh:

I always put Loki in the book for bring in during the week as he is normally ready to come in before I arrive, so yesterday YM went down to get him, he is normally waiting for her but was a bit down the field, he saw her coming and came flying up the field which started the rest of the them off and they had a hoon around and Loki's shoe came flying off, dodgey foot of course :rolleyes:

Thank goodness YM saw and collected it, as my farrier is on holiday for two weeks and he hand makes the shoes which have been keeping ratbag sound, if they come off he has to be confined to his stable until replaced. I have another farrier coming to put it back on tonight thankfully but am now panicking what if it happens again and I can't find the shoe, highly likely now the field so wet.

I hate to do it but think I am going to have to ask about putting him in the little sepatation paddock on restricted turnout for a week, I hate to separate him from his mates but three weeks of box rest is not something I want to face :ohmy: I am also supposed to be doing a one day event next Sunday, its not a important competition but its what I have targeted since he was injured and I am so close to getting there I would be gutted to fail this close. Is that a bit selfish :unsure:

Thanks guys, he didn't seem too upset about going in there this morning, the boys field has no grass whatsoever, the paddock is a grass haven which will do him no harm as I have been desperate to get him on some grass as have been feeding tons of hay and grazing him in hand to keep his weight on, the other boys are fatties so owners dragging their heals on the next field move :rolleyes:

Horses are such a large part of our life its no wonder you feel lost without Earl :GroupHug:

Well, most days I've managed to get Merlyn out into the field with the ponies for at least a couple of hours, and he's been ridden once by me since going out with my friend on her youngster, and he's provided the mount for a friend's ten years old daughter to have her first two riding lessons on, and then today she was lead out by her mother to practice what she's learned. :biggrin: Besides mastering the rising trot during her first lesson, the little girl's made considerable headway towards using her seat to wake the lazy old devil up a bit.

I gather that, on the hack today, he was persuaded to trot a fair bit, and seemed to enjoy that. Indeed, I was surprised to see them back as soon as they were - about the same time as it would take me to ride that route on one of Merlyn's obliging days.

Spoke with the husband of the livery horse's owner today, and it seems that the place where they believed they'd be able to go with him are not prepared to take him. I've suggested a couple of other possible places, and just hope one of those will soon. In reality, the horse would live out happily enough with shelter and hay if she can't get stabling. As things stand now, I've had to ask the people who have bought my grandson't little lead-rein pony if they'd leave her in my field a bit longer to keep Bron company until the woman's pony vacates the stable. They don't mind at the moment, but want the pony soon to keep their yearling filly company when she comes in for the winter. They aim for them to have adjacent stables, which are on the neighbouring yard to mine, but apart from their barn, where they have four large stables for their big horses.

At least I've not seen the livery horse's owner since she got the message delivered by her husband - although I have heard, second-hand, a fair bit of what she has to say. :rolleyes: I am very much afraid that, if she approaches any remaining yard owners locally, and coming out with that sort of thing, she won't find anywhere willing to take her on, even if they have room for her pony. They are not that naive, nor likely to want the sort of disruption and chaos such a person can cause on a proper, busy livery yard.

At this rate, I can see her ending up having to sell this pony and, like the other, it will all be my fault according to her. As for the mare that she said she'd bought, it seems she has only paid a small deposit on her, not the full amount, and the mare's owner (a long-standing friend of mine) is none too pleased at being messed around. He'd have put her back in foal to his Welsh cob, had he known she was likely to be staying with him.

Originally, I gave her until 1st September, but have told her husband that I could extend that for a week or two, but that's all. He is such a lovely man, and I really feel for him. Mind you, I don't think he will be too worried if they don't have any horses. He is the one who does all the feeding and mucking out, fetching and carrying.

Edited by AlTRPD

Ive been going stir crazy this week, ive been back to visit the yard twice and went down yesterday to bring all of Earl's things home. Seeing his headcollar set me off :mecry:

Later in the day the YO, April, (really more my friend now) asked if id go out with them on a hack. Initially I burst into tears because Earl and I used to hack majority of the time and my favourite memories of him are doing some lovely routes around the bridle paths and into the woods. I eventually got talked into it and I went out on Pip the pony. Im really glad I did, it was emotional but I think I needed to do it.

Whilst we were out hacking, April asked me if I would think about getting a horse between me and her daughter, Rhia, who used to have weekly riding lessons on Earl, and share the costs/time etc. I thought about it and decided it would be a good idea, my life feels empty now without Earl. I went to her house last night and we did an extensive search on Horsemart and have found a few that look suitable so watch this space!