UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

Glad Blue is mending nicely :).

Not a good time to be a horse owner that was it Jacky :GroupHug:. Hope all goes to plan next time, wonder what's put the bees in his bonnet!

Squeak has to be sedated because he won't even let you put the rasping headcollar on. He's not used to wearing a bit which is part of it but he's also suuuuper wussy and I can't even get a worming syringe near his mouth. Being a heavy 17.2hh means if he says No, I say 'OK' :rolleyes:

I don't have his teeth done now unless I think he really needs it as it took him ages to come round last time and I really thought he might fall over at one point. Duke on the other hand, you can sedate, and then you sedate him again :laugh:

What a norty boy Kane, I can imagine it's like trying to stop a tank when he takes off! Have you tried Sedalin, it works well and no need for injections! He will have to take a leaf out of Wanda's book, didn't even sedate her for scoping and she goes to sleep when I pull her mane! :laugh:

Just watched Loki's video's Clare, he's doing so well, can't wait for him to develop medium trot, that will be worth seeing! As for the going out of the shoulder maybe slow him down a tad and make sure you have your outside rein when asking for the bend? Hope you don't mind me sticking my bit in, tell me to bog off if you want! :laugh:

YO Sam is off to vet today with Obe, he has had two significant nosebleeds in the last week and the last one although it's now minimal is still bleeding. Sam had asked me to check him in the field the other day as she was off delivering and he looked like road kill, although the bleed was still minor at that point he had managed to cover himself in blood! He's going to be scoped and have his head X-rayed, there is a condition where a horse can get a fungal infection in the gutteral pouch and can actually bleed out! He's there for 9am this morning, I'm at work waiting for news and really worried, can't think how Sam is feeling!

Is it Kane that loves bourbon biccies Jacky :unsure:

Yes it is (of course I don't give them to him cos that would be very naughty... :wink: ).

Thanks PW I'll look up Sedalin, sounds ideal cos I really don't want to sedate him. I've got my clicker with me today so will restart his training and keep working on it til Andre gets back. :flowers:

Hope Obe is okay. :GroupHug:

Went riding with the kids last night...poor Kane (well he did deserve it)!! They were trying to get Kane to be silly...well they are all riding 12hh pony's that go sideways at the drop of a hat!! :laugh: :laugh: They were shooting off in gallops and Kane would just stand and watch them, they couldn't believe he didn't follow!! :laugh: I was telling them that he's a big horse and I'm a big girl and we don't do running unless we have to!!! :laugh: He did get abit silly at some little jumps though, which pleased the girls!! :laugh: He was on his knees by the time we got back!! Serves him right!! :laugh:

Of course I don't mind PW, always appreciate your advise :flowers: I will try the slowing down tonight, when I was only having the problem on the left rein, sometimes it was caused by him grabbing the outside rein (an ongoing problem of him fixing on the right rein), I am finding it such a fine line between having the contact, not having the contact and having too much contact :wacko:

I have entered another comp next Sunday it is P12 which reads horrible, but I seem to recall it rides quite nicely. Although again not much time to set up for canter, as it follows straight after a change of rein. Shall we start a book on how many times it will take to get each canter :laugh: I will donate a £5 to the winning persons chosen rescue.

In a funny way it all going so wrong last week has given confidence to go out and do some more, I thought it would be so embarrassing not being able to get correct canter, but I actually didn't think about it, just went about correcting it .... and correcting it ... and correcting it :laugh:

SJ/XC combined clinic on Sunday, if it doesn't get rained off after the forecast for tomorrow. I have been promoted to the 2.6ft - 2.9ft group :huh:

Norty Kane :wub: It is becoming more and more popular around here for dentists to insist on the horses being sedated before they will work on them, my dentist is old school thankfully as Loki doesn't react well to sedation, he doesn't worry about having his teeth done luckily.

Sounds like an interesting hack :laugh:

Glad Blue is on the mend :flowers:

Clare, if I remember rightly P12 rides really well, much better than P10, good luck!

Just heard from Sam, Obe has a cyst in his sinus and will need surgery to remove it, vet will go in just below his eye, eeek! Probably being done on 28th unless blood loss becomes much worse, poor Obe!

Sedalin paste works brilliant.Bumble had it when he was on box rest, result was one sleepy pony who didn't have a care in the world :laugh:

I have used it on a nervous youngster to clip and it worked well. A friend used one and a half syringes on her show cob and he was still hypo.Vet said it doesn't work on all of them and this is obviously right!

Awww, poor Kane! Do you think that he has something that is making his teeth/mouth hurt and that's why he kicked up a fuss?

No, the dentist managed to take a quick look and a couple of teeth were abit sharp but otherwise they didn't need much work!! He's the same to worm but I've learnt to put his feed in and then sneakily shove the wormer in his gob while he's otherwise engaged!!! :laugh: I think it's just having something put in his mouth he doesn't like cos he's a dream to shoe and clip! :wacko: I've been clicker training again and so far he's let me put a spoon (couldn't find anything else metal to try with!!) and an empty wormer tube without kicking off!! I saw my vet on friday and he's going to let me have some sedalin and then put someone on standby in case it doesn't work. I'm also going early and school him for an hour so he'll be on his knees!! :laugh:

How did the dressage go Clare?

:GroupHug: Poor Obe that sounds traumatic.

Sounds like a plan Jacky :laugh:

Dressage is this Sunday :) This weekend we went to a sj clinic that turned out to be a xc clinic but we had fun, someone possibly a little too much :rolleyes: I am starting to get some serious break failing when jumping, it is lovely he is sooo enthusiastic but he is getting a bit too brave, and losing his head slightly, and it is not just the jumps, we went up and down steps rather quicker than I would like too :wacko:

I don't think I have ever ached so much from riding, my arms and shoulder hurt if they move anywhere other than by my side :laugh:

At the risk of being boring, here is another video, this is the last two runs when we put the course together.

All systems go for our first one day event end of September then :huh:

Brilliant Clare !!!

Makes me very envious :biggrin: Make sure you have someone ready to lead him for you after the xc at the event, because you'll be needing to get your breath back! Have some lovely photos of Duke looking great and me totally and literally puffed :laugh:

Good luck, am getting all excited for you for the event, where is it?

I can't see video's!! :mecry: You need to get the chief camera man working harder please!!! :D

I'm very jealous too, but extreamly proud of you both. I'll live my eventing dreams through you if that's okay? :laugh: I can't wait til you are competing somewhere within driving distance of me..I'll come along with my cheerleader outfit!! :biggrin: :wink:

Can't believe the weather here!! Had to bring Kane in last night for over an hour to dry him off and sent him back out with a rug on....it's bloody August and he's rugged!!!! :( :(