UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

The Horse Update / Pic Thread

Clare

Loki's lump has been getting bigger again since he has been home. Two people have now said to me that I need to get angry with the vets as we seem to be getting no where.

Just to recap, he was in hospital for seven days on intravenus antibiotics, at no time did the lump go down completely, the bill for this was £1700. He was sent home Tuesday evening with three weeks antibiotics, these turned out to be the wrong ones so replacement ones were sent to me they are called Baytryl, and they arrived yesterday, these turn out to be the same ones that the local vet tried with him before he went into hospital, they had no effect at the time. I left a message with sugeon in case he had forgotten that.

Last night he did not eat any hay and has picked over his breakfast (with no medication in it), the lump has gone up even more over night.

The problem seems to be that there is an infection in the mandible bone, why no one seems to know.

I don't know what to do, so far my bills come to about £4000 and I only have £1000 left on my insurance. It is all good getting angry at the vets but surely they are doing all they can?

I have put a call into the vet that came out on an emergency call to him before referring him to the hospital, she was very good, but I really do not know what she can say, surely if they knew what to do they would have done it :unsure:

Ivan is very handsome :wub: I hope he has fun in Germany :flowers:

It has to be an abcess ,giving antibiotics when its not drained will dampen the infection and then it will come back with a vengance and possibly with an antibiotic resistance.

If the abcess is left to grow it will find a natural way out to the surface,It will, if an incision is already made make its way to where the tissue gives way to its pressure. When it drains itself THEN antibiotics will help it heal.

It has to be an abcess ,giving antibiotics when its not drained will dampen the infection and then it will come back with a vengance and possibly with an antibiotic resistance.

If the abcess is left to grow it will find a natural way out to the surface,It will, if an incision is already made make its way to where the tissue gives way to its pressure. When it drains itself THEN antibiotics will help it heal.

The swelling is hard and bony Lesley, would an absess cause that?

Loki is very bright and happy in himself, he is grazing fine although picks at his hay, but he is putting weight back on :) The vet said I could send him back for another 7 day course of antibiotics, but as the swelling has not got worse since Friday, I think the best place for him is home at the moment.

We swapped to night turnout yesterday, I went back down at 9pm to check he was ok, only to find him and his field mate all of a twitter and drenced in sweat, he was so pleased to see me he never left my side even when his field mate was charging around, I ended up bringing them both in :rolleyes: They both have rather active imaginations so I am hoping YM will let us merge with the other boys who managed to stay out all night without causing a fuss :wacko:

Well done Electra :flowers: What a beautiful fily :wub:

The swelling is hard and bony Lesley, would an absess cause that?

Loki is very bright and happy in himself, he is grazing fine although picks at his hay, but he is putting weight back on :) The vet said I could send him back for another 7 day course of antibiotics, but as the swelling has not got worse since Friday, I think the best place for him is home at the moment.

We swapped to night turnout yesterday, I went back down at 9pm to check he was ok, only to find him and his field mate all of a twitter and drenced in sweat, he was so pleased to see me he never left my side even when his field mate was charging around, I ended up bringing them both in :rolleyes: They both have rather active imaginations so I am hoping YM will let us merge with the other boys who managed to stay out all night without causing a fuss :wacko:

Well done Electra :flowers: What a beautiful fily :wub:

If its in the jaw then yes it will be hard and bony as it will leave a hole in the bone and a small deformity.If its ozzing gunk and its being treated with antibiotics then its an infection. An abcess is simply an infection that needs to find a way of escaping. Once there is a drainage point clean it with a mild solution of hydrogen peroxide which will keep it open and draining

I've just popped in for a quick look, golly Clare I thought all your troubles were over with Loki. Hope you get it sorted soon, you must be frazzled by now.

Electra's foaly is beautiful, how clever of her to have it all by her self.

Wanda horse is well but a bit of a fatty, she is in work so we should soon get some off, I can do more now the OH is a bit better after his op. She had a spending spree on Saturday and bought a pink numnah with flowers on the side and then decided she liked it so much she bought a turquoise one as well! She followed these purchases with a mint green stable rug and some boots, she's a spendthrift!

We have dressage next Wednesday, eeeeek! Wanda will be very serious and wear correct attire and leave her fluffy side at home, well I hope she does! :biggrin:

Edited by Pendlewitch

Lovely foal!!!

Good luck with the Dressage, I'm sure you'll do great!

Hope Loki picks up now he settling back in at home.

Very busy here just started new job yippie!! Its much more fun not working. Kai started bucking very badly a week or so ago. The first time was on one rein. Gave her a few days off and then she was doing it on both reins as soon as I asked for trot. My instructor came out at the weekend to have a look and thought the same as me. Something definately wrong, but can't put her finger on what it is.

So we put her on the lung as she had a fit every time I tried to trot on her. Her leg on her bad side is dropping from somewhere above the stfile when she trots. So we have the chiropracter comming out tomorrow to try to find out what the problem is and fix it. Minski was on top form last night and managed to stop the traffic on the main road twice. She didn't see why she should wait behind the parked car while the cars came past so she swung her bum in the middle of the and went backwards!! Will she ever grow up?

Clare, as Lesley said its probably an abcess. My dog has had a hard bony lump on her face for a while and the vets said it was something to do with the fact that she hasnt got many teeth so the bones have changed :wacko: However at the weekend a large abcess appeared and now that its draining and antibiotics are kicking in the bony lump has almost disappeared. :flowers:

Clare, as Lesley said its probably an abcess. My dog has had a hard bony lump on her face for a while and the vets said it was something to do with the fact that she hasnt got many teeth so the bones have changed :wacko: However at the weekend a large abcess appeared and now that its draining and antibiotics are kicking in the bony lump has almost disappeared. :flowers:

That is reassuring thanks BC :flowers: I will keep my fingers crossed an abcess apears soon :)

I hope the Chiro is able to sort out Kai's problem :flowers:

I had a really frightening experience last night :( I decided to take Loki for a walk to ease his boredom and as the yard leads straight onto a by-way and then forestry land it is a really nice walk.

We were wandering down the by-way when a car appears with three guys in it, they were lets say undesirable types. They pulled over to let me pass, and as I was passing one of them lent out the window and said what a nice horse he was and then started asking lots of questions as I tried to get past.

I answered them all vaguley and mentioning he was sick and likley to be on long term medication and not able to work, pointing out the huge lump on his jaw, but I am terrified for his safety. I am probably over reacting terrible but it did / does scare me.

He is microchipped but it has given me the kick up the back side to get him freezmarked, which I have just booked. So anyone putting off freezmarking get it booked up now!

I answered them all vaguley and mentioning he was sick and likley to be on long term medication and not able to work, pointing out the huge lump on his jaw, but I am terrified for his safety. I am probably over reacting terrible but it did / does scare me.

I get it quiet alot round here (being close to Ireland we get alot of certain young men who are very interested in our coloured cobs! :glare: ). I always make sure the first thing I say is he's gelded and that he's blind in one eye!! We never ever go straight home if someone has expressed an interest in any of our horses. We keep the foals (esp the coloured mare) close to the house and with the dogs running loose no one gets up the drive without someone knowing!

I'd definately be having a word with your YO to make sure they are aware. :flowers: :flowers:

:wacko: :wacko: :wacko: A good impression of me sitting at my desk at work :laugh:

Loki's face was up again this morning, I was due to report in to new vet I am dealing with and very happy with, left a message on her phone, and didn't quite anticipate her efficency, she called back and said my normal vet was in our area now and she had taken taken the liberty of deploying him to our yard to have a look at what was going on, she would have liked to have come herself but wouldn't fit it in today and wanted to get on top of what was happening straight away.

Annnyyhoooo YM is off this week, so I have had to make a hundred calls to find someone to get him back in from the field and if I am lucky back out again, ( I so hope he doesn't play the poor girl up getting him in, anyone catching him for the first time has to go through an initiation :laugh: )

Vet has working pupil with him and knows Loki so they will have a look without me being there, and will then call me.

So have managed to arrange it all from here but someone hand me a strong drink and lead me to a dark room :happy:

I was just about to post asking how he was! I really hope this vet manages to sort it out finally. :angry: Try not to worry. :GroupHug:

Had a break through yesterday. Schooled Kane on his own for the first time...he was amazing! Tried to nap to the gate once right at the beginning but I kept my legs strong and tbh it was a very half hearted attempt by him! Then managed 30 mins of schooling (all in walk as per my instructions!!) and he didn't put a foot/hoof wrong! I was knackered cos we had to do loads of halts, half-halts and rein changes!! But very very proud.. :biggrin:

Sad news yesterday a local woman was killed eventing on tuesday. Very lovely woman who was well liked and respected by everyone. I'd met her a few times at horsey stuff and she was always friendly and smiling. My thoughts are with her family.

Story

Oh Jacky I thought of you when I read that story, knowing Anglesey is a small community I wondereed if you knew her. Such a terrible accident, my thoughts are with her family and friend. :GroupHug:

Lovely to hear your schooling went well, I bet in a months time you won't believe the difference it has made to your hacking, I love schooling, but definately balenced with other things else it gets :sleeping_03anim:

When is your instructor out to you again?