UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Car And Oil

bebe

Something I learned with my first-ever car was not to buy your cheap old car expensive oil as a treat. (yes, I am a sad sad person).

Cheap old knackered cars can't have good quality oil it runs straight through them: give them bargain basement stuff and they are much happier. :laugh:

• 1 month later...
Hubs is a mechanic and he says it is a petrol or diesel?

Sorry, I forgot I asked this :rolleyes: Its petrol, and I still havnt put the oil in, the red lights on now so I think its time :unsure:

No to the following ;

Baby oil, Olive oil, Oil of Ulay............(I'm sorry I couldn't resist :D )

I don't know the proper answer :wacko:

Neem oil? :unsure:

Something I learned with my first-ever car was not to buy your cheap old car expensive oil as a treat. (yes, I am a sad sad person).

Cheap old knackered cars can't have good quality oil it runs straight through them: give them bargain basement stuff and they are much happier. :laugh:

My car is NOT a cheap knackered car, thankyou very much :angry:

Ok it is. :dry:

:ohmy: get some piggin oil in :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I would if I knew what sort to ask for :flowers:

The oil warning light is generally the sign of impending doom if left unchecked.

Do put some oil in, and maybe get it looked at as to what part of the engine is leaking oil too..

:unsure: I dont think its leaking oil. I think I just need to put some in. Could it be leaking oil? :(

Ive only had the car about a year I think. Ive never put oil in, and its only recent that the oil lights been coming on, so I dont think it could be leaking?

Can I seriously ask how often oil should be put in then? CD used to do all that.

It should tell you what oil to use in the handbook (if you have one)?

Failing that, do you have one of those little motor spares shops near you?

The people are usually quite friendly and helpful, and have a range of cheaper oils (unlike some of the bigger stores) :)

if its engine oil firstly you should check its level using the dipstick

if there is enough oil in then you have a bigger problem - garage time

if there isnt add some 10w-40 or 15w40 engine oil up until the recomended level (as indicated on the dipstick) and pray that your running it with bugger all oil in hasnt trashed your engine.

if you have a performance car you may need to check if your oil is synthetic\semi synth or non sythetic.

however...

personally if I were you I would just pop to kwik fit and ask them to do an oil change this way you know you are not mixing oils and you will have a nice new filter now that your old one is probably full of bits of your engine...

:)