UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Computer Help

JulesB

Could some clever computer person help me please, before I start crying :(

I've just been working on a Word document that was sent to me as an attachment to an email.

I worked away for hours, regularly pressing the 'save' button, then closed it when I'd finished. I've just realised that I didn't actually save it on my system - will the new version be somewhere in my temporary internet files?

I've had a look but the only version I can see there is the old one.

It was really difficult and took me ages and I could just weep at the thought of doing it again :mecry:

Thanks if you can help :flowers:

Thanks for those suggestions :flowers:

I've just asked it to search the hard disk but now it's refusing to have a look, for reasons known only to itself.

I've also tried looking in recent files from Word/File.... and Start/Recent Documents but it can only see where it was in the temporary files if you know what I mean - shows me the gobbledegook folder under temporary, then the file name, but won't be tricked into opening it.

I am going for a nice walk and a cup of tea. Maybe it will look better when I come back :(

If you open word it may be in the recent files list

failing that

open the email

open the word doc

select ... file...save as

DO NOT SAVE THE FILE

look where it wants to put it

thats where it will most likely be

failing that

do a search for the filename but include hidden and system files in the options

if yoyu cant remember the file name do a seach for *.doc and then sort by date to see if you recognise it.

Its on your system somewhere

Thanks for those suggestions :flowers:

I've just asked it to search the hard disk but now it's refusing to have a look, for reasons known only to itself.

I've also tried looking in recent files from Word/File.... and Start/Recent Documents but it can only see where it was in the temporary files if you know what I mean - shows me the gobbledegook folder under temporary, then the file name, but won't be tricked into opening it.

I am going for a nice walk and a cup of tea. Maybe it will look better when I come back :(

If you do as Sophie suggested, ie open Word and go to File, is it one of the files listed at the bottom there (it should be if you've not opened many documents since)? If you open it, is it the copy you've updated? If it is, you can just go to file, save as and then put it wherever you like.

I don't think this works if you opened the doc from an email - at least it doesn't in my slightly elderly copy of Office. The recently opened files list only includes files that I opened via Word: it doesn't include ones that you clicked on and it opened word automatically as the associated program.

Which is bloody annoying.

Helped people with this loads of times at work

Here is what I do - kind of ties up with Ricks post.

Open the file from the email (CHeck your changes are not already there, depending on setup sometimes they will be... If not...)

Click file > Save as

CHANGE THE FILENAME TO SOMETHING ELSE COMPLETELY DIFFERENT!!!

The save it. You have just saved the file in the location where the other one will be

No close the file then click File > Open

Word will now be looking at the folder where your file is, so the docuemnt with the same filename as the one in the email should contain your changes. Open it and the save it somewhere memorable :)

I've tried all the suggestions but no luck. I can find the file where the system has stored it among the temporary files OK, but it's just the original version. I don't know why it's not saved the changes, as I definitely remember pressing 'save' loads of times, just so I didn't lose anything :unsure:

Guess I'll just have to be a woman about it and knuckle down and re-do the work. It might teach me to be more careful :(

Thanks again everyone :flowers: