UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Killing Field Of The Dog Industry

Brindlebabe

Just thought I'd point out my own comments

"The email says people can offer to assist with the commitee, but it doesn't say how the committe will be formed, do we assume it's already been formed with the people listed then or will there be a vote?"

A simple question that's all. I'm certainly not "worrying" about it, and I also said

"It doesn't matter who is involved in any committee"

Please understand I am not sitting here trying to cause arguements or ill feeling, I am actually doing something as well as contributing to this thread. :)

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I for one am glad that such well informed , at the forefront people of rescue have taken it upon themselves to devote their time and energy to this :) I wouldnt have the knowledge or werewithal to take on such a task .

We can all sit here waste time and start to bicker about committee members or we can all support those that got off their backsides and did something :)

I know what i will be doing

As an aside im sure the committee will call on all those that have offered help ..after all its going to be a huge task!

Sorry should point out that this is not aimed at any individual posts /posters just the feeling im is getting that the make up of the committee is more of a concern than the actual march :)

Edited by Donna

Actually I dislike the word *committee* anyway and would prefer to think it was a bunch of like minded individuals working towards a common goal coming together but with some element of organisation.

How would it be proposed we voted a *committee* bearing in mind this goes alot deeper than the internet or internet forums and runs the length and bredth of the country, no one place is more important than another?

Do we vote because in my minds eye that would warrant writing to ask every rescue in the country to nominate by post. Then lets have a fortnight of hustings which would need to be arranged. Then lets get every rescue to complete ballot paper and return by post. Voila we have a committee. However, not everyone is willing to be pro active and the fact is if we are aiming for September to time with the reconvene of paliment we dont have two months to sit around discussing a *committee*

Im not sure what the relevance is and ive not seen anywhere where anyone has not been willing to consider other peoples views or discuss them :unsure: As far as I can see Vanessa took this oppurtunity to become pro active, she has approached lots of other organisations who she feels can bring something into the mix to contribute and invited suggestions from not only themselves but others. Is there any reason why she shouldnt have grabbed the bull by the horns and started a momentum to run with it? Everyone is suppose to be in agreement that its an entity proclaiming under one voice so I dont see the need for politics to be brought into it.

From a personal basis I was asked simply if I would mind helping, I quite simply said yes! The saying yes in my minds eye does not give me anymore kudos or personal acclaim than the members of the public who will be marching for a common goal. Im not bothered either way whether im involved or not but I agreed simply because I would like to think that working day in day out with ALL sides of the Greyhound broad spectrum I could have given a little back. Im more than happy to just turn up and march to be honest would be easier for me to save the little time I have being placed into any organisation but im not willing to sit back and let this oppurtunity pass everyone as a whole by. :)

We can all sit here waste time and start to bicker about committee members or we can all support those that got off their backsides and did something :)

I know what i will be doing

As an aside im sure the committee will call on all those that have offered help ..after all its going to be a huge task!

Sorry should point out that this is not aimed at any individual posts /posters just the feeling im is getting that the make up of the committee is more of a concern than the actual march :)

I am very much getting that feeling too... :(

(and, like Donna, do NOT mean that I think people are sitting on their backsides doing nothing)

I agree with Pingu except for the highjacking by AR, from what Ive heard a lot of AR people that arent usually involved with Greyhound campaigning are totally outraged by the news in the Times etc, I know they also would like to join the march but not with any other purpose other than to support the cause.

Also along the lines of AR marches - people from various spectrums within the umbrella term of 'Animal Rights' come together for marches whatever their view points, A good example of which, is the Protests at Dover Docks against the reintroduction of Export of live calves, people who come from very different angles on this have no problems standing side by side eg. Compassion in World Farming (who are welfarists and campaign for better conditions for farmed animals ) along with People who are vegan and totally oppose the slaughter of animals for meat fullstop - without taking this off topic and into the realms of an AR discussion, my point is - that all sides wanting to make a stand about the issues surrounding the Slaughter of Greyhounds can surely get together, whether they are for imposed welfare standards or a total ban within Greyhound Racing. Me - Im with Greyhound Action and for a total ban, but would join in as 'me' and not an organisation.

Here is where the LACS stand - I personally wish they would lend full support to an outright ban, but thats me I guess.

LACS

I totally agree. I class myself as an 'AR person' but I am definately not what people call an extremist. You cannot tar everyone with the same brush. I myself find it difficult to understand how folk can be so speciest and think that some animals should be spared from suffering and death and others don't need that consideration. But then I have to remember that some years ago I was 'normal' and thought that way. Something made me change and that can happen to others also, I always try to bear that in mind.

Not everyone goes as far as I do but there are people out there that are disgusted by this latest incident and want to do something about it and I think they should be able to express their concern and get involved in the campaign if they want to. This is how many people step onto that path of compassion for all others.

I would dearly love to come on the march but I am incapacitated for a while but my heart and soul will be with you all :wub:

Sorry but I'm not quite understanding the objection to all committee posts being nominated, after all the defacto committee currently has suggested the same process for the lesser positions have they not?

So no I'm honestly not getting it at all, we've established this is about this being a well organised well thought out well planned event thats not proposed to happen over night, many people have contributed to this thread and a number of them have made it clear that the committee make up is of concern, for whatever reason, and the plain fact is those questions will be asked, and ARE being asked, both in this thread and elsewhere.

Frankly it does concern me a great deal that that people aren't being listened to already, and their concerns are being dismissed as a "waste of time" or mere "bickering".

I truly did think all were welcome to participate, get involved and voice their opinions and thoughts, no matter how much others may not like them.

Was I wrong?

Whilst I agree with you again Lisa about "politics" I'm afraid my feeling is that this is a political matter in the true sense of the word, and rescue politics has already raised it's head with the GA statement, I can't see how it can be avoided when you are dealing with people who feel incredibly strongly about the issues. In particular the fact that the "decision makers" are people who simply elected themselves to that role, and therefore aren't perhaps truly representative of the wider errrm "movement"? for want of a better word.

No I'm not suggesting a ballot of every single person I agree that is indeed unworkable, but most groups already have a coordinator or committee who can vote on behalf of that group, nominations to be notified say a week in advance, each group having 1 vote which is not someone they themselves nominated or who is not part of their group/rescue. Each nomination needs only have a few lines about who the person is and what they can bring to the organising team? It really needn't be any more complicated than that, but at least it would be seen to be an open process and would go a long way to heading off any complaints further down the road.

Again, my concern here is the fact people are now seemingly being irritated about being asked questions, or when opposing views are raised, thats not really helping matter either.

This is either an all views all positions welcome campaign or it's not, I for one hope it's the former.

Again, my concern here is the fact people are now seemingly being irritated about being asked questions, or when opposing views are raised, thats not really helping matter either.

This is either an all views all positions welcome campaign or it's not, I for one hope it's the former.

I dont see where anyone is becoming irritated to be honest and I myself I can assure you arnt. As ive said whether I form part of the organisation structure or not doesnt worry me, im happy to help and lend any advice or indeed expertise I can bring. Im not a regular poster on the refuge but do occasionally contribute and offer help however, appreciate the sentiment of the forum Pingu took the time to set up and have acknowledged his open invitation, accepted and put forward my thoughts no more no less, there is alot going on behind the scenes with organisations who dont use the internet so could have quite easily declined. I do though believe in working with people who are keen to get involved and talking through situations as they stand.

The infrastructure of the committee as yet is not something for me to comment on as nothing has been set in stone. As stated before and stated again I was asked if I was willing to participate and I answered yes because its something I believe strongly in.

I also dont see where anyone other than yourself and Mel have questioned any infastructure of a committee either quite the contrary infact people relived that something is being worked towards and as this is a forum that was opened publically to talk about this either by name or anonomysly I dont see why these worries you state are being discussed behind the scenes havent been raised. Or indeed what elsewheres you even talk about? :)

I can however say, that from once again a personal view it all seems rather counter productive and as Vanessa's email and address was publically printed have any of those with concerns tried emailing her directly to discuss any issues they have?

Edited by Lisa73

Guest Lisa23

I hope it's ok for me to post, seeing as it's my first post I hope people won't take it the wrong way.

I think, as someone has already mentioned that this march is not going to do anything if it just ends up being members of an Internet forum. There are hundreds of Greyhound and non-greyhound rescues as well as other organisations that are hopefully going to want to take part in the march.

I can't see how it can all be done with an official 'committee' not unless representatives from all of the various groups are going to attend meetings etc in person.

As I see it now some people have started to contact people and organise things, I haven't seen anyone say anywhere that anyone else can't join in? If it was an organisation that was being formed then fair enough, members would need to be voted and all that goes with it.

But its not it’s a one off event that just needs everyone to get involved and offer support, hopefully without people needing labels.

I also dont see where anyone other than yourself and Mel have questioned any infastructure of a committee

Allie on page 14

Does anyone know who is on the commitee? If its being organsied, how to vote people in ect ?(if the comitee members will be voted in)

--------------------

Lurcherdan on page 16

I think that the members and purpose of the committee needs to be made clear.

:)