UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Killing Field Of The Dog Industry

Brindlebabe

Guest Guest

I think the majority would welcome a complete ban but realistically thats is never going to happen, certainly not in the short term.

Any sort of campaign has to have objectives and calling for an all out ban immediatly just isn't going to work. It took 30 years for the foxhunting ban to get through and the government weren't making 70m a year out of that!

With any sort of campaign you have to start small and work your way up to the main goal which in this case would be an all out ban. At least campaigning for better conditions is acheivable.

Much as I admire the work of Greyhound Action, this single mindedness means we'll lose the impetus this terrible story has given us.

The point is, most people just do not know there is a problem and an awful lot will only care that the dogs are treated well. They won't ask for an all out ban, they'll ask for the dogs to be treated properly and then they'll forget about it. Start there, achieve better conditions, better regulation etc THEN move on to bigger goals.

Can I ask anyone who knows, has the fact that this forum has been created been crossposted to other webites yet?

x-posted to lurcherlink

• Replies 386
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Avon & Somerset Greyhound Ac

Hi there,

I will definately be on the March with rescued dogs... I am speaking personally (not on behalf of GA)... I would rather be there with lots of "Ban greyhound Racing" banners, leaflets etc.

I am for a complete ban on greyhound racing and we regularly leaflet outside the Swindon track (and Glastonbury before it closed!)

Apart from a certain few idiots, I do find that many people going into dog tracks (on hen/stag nights, birthday partys etc) are ignorant of the cruelty and many have been suckered by the dog tracks into believing that ALL the dogs get lovely homes!!!!

We have had people in tears and turning away & going home after reading leaflets, diaplay boards & meeting rescued dogs.

I do believe leafleting outside the tracks can be VERY effective & directly affect the tracks income. For me its all about education... I doubt that the Government will ever ban greyhound racing.. but we can educate people to boycott it!

We are going to be leafeting outside the Swindon track this Saturday evening from 6pm.

Here is the address. Everyone welcome: Abbey Stadium, Lady Lane, Blunsdon, Swindon, SN25 4DN

Map:http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=414500&y=189500&z=5&sv=414500,189500&st=4&ar=Y&ax=414576&ay=190008

Also... you are all invited to the Greyhound Gathering & Dogs picnic in Bristol's Eastville Park on Sunday 23rd July to mark International Greyhound Remembrance Weekend.

We will meet at midday for a few hours... bring a picnic for yourself & your dogs.

All dogs are welcome of course - not just greys!

W will be having a minutes silence and flowers will be laid for all the dogs killed and abused.

We will have stalls and teas, cake etc. and there are lovely walks around the park, lake & river Frome.

Eastville park is very easy to find, just 1 minute off Junction 2 of the M32, go left onto Muller Rd, then left at mini roundabout onto Fishponds Rd, then 1st left into Oakdene Ave, then first left into car park.

Walk past the childrens playground and you will see us just 100 yrds away!

Map: http://tinyurl.com/m7tcj

Look forward to seeing you all there!

(Sorry for rushed reply - hope that all makes sense?)

I think the majority would welcome a complete ban but realistically thats is never going to happen, certainly not in the short term.

Any sort of campaign has to have objectives and calling for an all out ban immediatly just isn't going to work. It took 30 years for the foxhunting ban to get through and the government weren't making 70m a year out of that!

With any sort of campaign you have to start small and work your way up to the main goal which in this case would be an all out ban. At least campaigning for better conditions is acheivable.

Much as I admire the work of Greyhound Action, this single mindedness means we'll lose the impetus this terrible story has given us.

The point is, most people just do not know there is a problem and an awful lot will only care that the dogs are treated well. They won't ask for an all out ban, they'll ask for the dogs to be treated properly and then they'll forget about it. Start there, achieve better conditions, better regulation etc THEN move on to bigger goals.

Can I ask anyone who knows, has the fact that this forum has been created been crossposted to other webites yet?

Mel I totally understand what you are saying but one could equally argue that better conditions etc should already be in place according to NGRC. They simply are not there. I agree with GA's statement in principle and I would respectfully suggest that this is a perfect time to work towards a ban ASAP becase that is the only way that this kind of incident will stop. The media attention has raise the greyhound profile so high that I see this as the perfect time to strike for a total ban. It may not be successful but the more people behind a total ban now can only mean that the numbes will incease. Should anything else happen in along the way, well that would be good but the ultimate goal (for me anyway) has to be a ban.

Thats does not mean that I wont be supporting any action taking but I did feel I needed to express my thoughts.

And this forum has been crossposted to GGLL (www.gll.co.uk)

Guest Avon & Somerset GA

Mel I totally understand what you are saying but one could equally argue that better conditions etc should already be in place according to NGRC. They simply are not there. I agree with GA's statement in principle and I would respectfully suggest that this is a perfect time to work towards a ban ASAP becase that is the only way that this kind of incident will stop. The media attention has raise the greyhound profile so high that I see this as the perfect time to strike for a total ban. It may not be successful but the more people behind a total ban now can only mean that the numbes will incease. Should anything else happen in along the way, well that would be good but the ultimate goal (for me anyway) has to be a ban.

Thats does not mean that I wont be supporting any action taking but I did feel I needed to express my thoughts.

And this forum has been crossposted to GGLL (www.gll.co.uk)

I completely agree with you Tash!!!

When doing stalls for GA, I have found many members of the public very sympathetic to a ban.

I think many people realise that where profits clash with a dogs needs & welfare... the dogs are always going to suffer.

I just simply cannot see Gteyhound Racing being done "humanely" .. apart from the terrible killing of dogs, what about all the broken legs, etc that happen every day?? That why I feel I need to work towards a total boycott & ban of all greyhound racing.

Tash I agree with you, a total ban IS the way to go but it's just not going to happen quickly enough so while we're campaigning for that long term we should be making sure the poor dogs that are still racing get better treatment. It could be 30 years! Shall we sit back and do nothing else except demand a ban?

Tash I agree with you, a total ban IS the way to go but it's just not going to happen quickly enough so while we're campaigning for that long term we should be making sure the poor dogs that are still racing get better treatment. It could be 30 years! Shall we sit back and do nothing else except demand a ban?

Totally agree with your comments.

What is important is the welfare of the greys now. Yes we all want greyhound racing banned, but to sit back and say "we want an all out ban" and do nothing for the plight of the unwanted, retired and injured right now, is not right at all.

This story has really hit home with people who don't have a clue about the goings on in the industry. Things get banned because of public opinion . The public is starting to have an opinion on greyhound racing. Not to take part in such a march is surely a missed opportunity in swaying even more opinions.

Just a quick question that I'd like clarified about this "committee" presumably every "seat" or "position" is up for nominations and votes? Whilst I can see Aly Abigail and Vanessa have been doing some of the basic ground work, so have many other people across many other groups, if this is a non partisan committee then presumably no one group will theoretically be allowed to have lead positions without democratically being nominated and chosen. Otherwise this isn't going to get very far before all sorts of issues arise about who elected who to be X Y Z etc.

We've already seen some of that starting with various GA factions not agreeing over the approach this protest/campaign should take, for this to work it MUST be non partisan and not affiliated to any one particular group.

Not at all!!!! Unless I have seriously misunderstood several posts, one of the issues here is that support is wanted from GA. I was merely suggesting that as opposed to just focusing on what we can achieve now goals that a phrase such as 'Our main goal is to see greyhound racing banned however in the meantime we are campaigning for better conditions'. It just sounded (and I appreciate that sometimes posts on the Internet can be easily misinterpreted) like that wasnt part of the plan. I can see from the post quoted above that this is not so.

Nothing about this situation is easy and I have to admit that I totally admire GA for their single mindedness. It reminds me of an episode of Monkey Business (about a couple who rescue monkeys and give them a lovely place to live) where they saw a much abused and neglected baby chimp in a pet shop in Turkey. They felt desperately sad for the chimp and wanted to buy him and bring him home. They decided not to because the pet shop owner would just get another baby chimp plus their money is going towards killing families of chimps in order to sell the babies for cash.

I would not for one minute suggest that we all sit back and let nothing happen but there are difficult decisions we all have to make. I felt compelled to stop helping at an RGT rehoming centre because they were breeding and racing greyhounds. To me that makes them part of the problem and I am not prepared to be part of the problem. But let me tell you it was bloody difficult to walk away. All I am suggesting is that this is a prime time to raise the issue of implementing a ban and giving it a much needed momentum boost. I also feel that if conditions are improved etc it will make it that much harder in the future to secure a ban because trainers will argue that the dogs have such a good life. Which is why I feel it is so important to ensure that a ban is vital part of any campaign.