UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Clicker training

King Prawn has kindly given me a clicker and I want to start a bit of fun training with Stitch. Now I know absolutely nothing about clicker training and a simple and idiot proof guide would really assist me i.e when do I click :unsure: what rewards do I give etc etc

I'll look into getting a book after xmas, but until then any useful tips would be handy :D

don't forget, you are talking to an idiot, so nothing too confusing eh :lol: :lol: :lol:

King Prawn has kindly given me a clicker and I want to start a bit of fun training with Stitch. Now I know absolutely nothing about clicker training and a simple and idiot proof guide would really assist me i.e when do I click :unsure: what rewards do I give etc etc

I'll look into getting a book after xmas, but until then any useful tips would be handy :D

don't forget, you are talking to an idiot, so nothing too confusing eh :lol: :lol: :lol:

An excellent website: http://www.clickertraining.com/training/cl...=dogs_15_tips_s

The first step is to prime the clicker so just start clicking then feeding treats after the click (don't click as you hand the food over, click then give the treat). Do this a few times until you are sure the dog links the noise to food i.e. when the dog is looking away from the food in your hand and you click s/he immediately looks at the food expecting to be given some.

I used small pieces of cheese or liver cake, pea sized is ideal even for larger dogs otherwise they scoff too much and get full too quick. Moist treats are better than dry - they don't get thirsty too soon and always train before a meal as when they are hungry they concentrate better (wanting the food).

Caz

Edited by Caz

To add to what Caz has said, once you've primed the clicker, decide what behaviour you are going to work on - start with something simple so the dog gets the idea of what your doing before moving on to more complex things.

If its, say, sit that you've decided to work on - use a food treat to lure the dog into a sit. As soon as their bum touches the floor, click, then give them the treat. Repeat a couple of times. Then get another food treat ready and watch the dog. Let them think about what it is they've been doing that has been getting them a click and a treat. Chances are that they'll try a sit, and you immediately click and treat. If they haven't tried anything after a few minutes, lure again, and then try observation again. Once they have the idea that it is sit that you want, add the command word in.

That's the basic process we use for anything that we use a lure for.

Something fun to teach that I've found dogs pick up on quickly is hand targetting. Put your hand right in front of your dogs nose, and click and treat when they move forward to sniff it. Repeat, then slowly move your hand farther away until the dog has to move to touch your hand. Once they're doing this reliably, you can start moving your hand and getting the dog to follow.

• 4 weeks later...

I generally tune a dog in to the clicker by clicking and giving treat repeatedly, it may take 2 or more seperate sessions depending on dog, You know a dog is solidly tuned in when he hears the click and no matter what he is doing automatically looks to you for the treat.

Timing is very important with the clicker, an excellent game to play once the dog is tuned in to the sound is :

SHUT THE DOGS OUT

Get the OH or another willing volunteer to try and work out what you want them to do by purely clicking, for example, You want OH to stand on a particular chair so he wanders round trying to please you and you click when he is along the right lines. Bit like the hot and cold game :D

If you have a couple of goes being the trainer then being the dog you will see how important timing is and how awfully confusing it can be for the dog bad timing can be.

Also on that note, regardless of the dogs actions if you click the dog must have a treat or you will reduce the effectiveness of the clicker.

Have fun, and enjoy that wonderful look on your dogs faces when they are thinking so hard to try and extract a click :D

Edited by taylor

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Let us know when you do some. Im totally addicted to clicker training :rolleyes: its fun for both doglet and owner and you get to teach lots of cute tricks that leave people gobsmacked :lol:

I must be doing something terribly wrong cos my dogs just seem to not respond to it. They just look at me. :wacko: no matter what i try to offer in return. I havent even got as far as giving commands yet, cant get them to come to me for the click and the treat!!

Thank god this is an idiots guide cos im deffinately left feeling like an idiot!! With a pocket full of treats!

I must be doing something terribly wrong cos my dogs just seem to not respond to it. They just look at me. :wacko: no matter what i try to offer in return. I havent even got as far as giving commands yet, cant get them to come to me for the click and the treat!!

Thank god this is an idiots guide cos im deffinately left feeling like an idiot!! With a pocket full of treats!

Some dogs dont take to the clicker .... dont take it personally,

where do you live i would be happy to help :biggrin:

Denese, I have a really good book called 'Clicker Training Step by Step' (karon pryor and peggy tillmann) you can borrow if you like. Its a good 50 page book with tips, idea's hints etc

Cindy

Wow, thank you Cindy :flowers: I'd love to borrow it :biggrin: Does that mean you may come and see your oldies club failed foster :ph34r_anim: or are you going to post it? :biggrin: If you haven't got my addy, let me know :wink:

I must be doing something terribly wrong cos my dogs just seem to not respond to it.

cant get them to come to me for the click and the treat!!

The dog doesn't need to come to you for either.

The beauty of the clicker is that you can mark the exact point at which the dog does what you want whether you are near to it or not, and you can toss the treat to it, or away from it, depending on what you are training.

Do your dogs actually like food treats? If not, you will have to think of something else that they will consider a reward.

If your dogs are used to being shown what you want them to do, it will take them longer to get their brains in gear. Clicker training makes them think for themselves.

I have a very nervous dog that looks blank for ages when I teach him something new, even though he has been clicker trained for over 6 years. He is worried about offering behaviours in case he is wrong (not that anything bad ever happens to him if he is). I can't use a hands on method with him as it freaks him out. However, he gets it in the end, and he does appreciate the clear message that the clicker gives him.

Pam

Edited by mum24dog

Wow, thank you Cindy :flowers: I'd love to borrow it :biggrin: Does that mean you may come and see your oldies club failed foster :ph34r_anim: or are you going to post it? :biggrin: If you haven't got my addy, let me know :wink:

YOu could always come to me for a cuppa. :D Its a tad heavy to post to be honest.

Cindy

:D

• 2 weeks later...