UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Is A Garden Pond A Problem?

Karen

I've noticed that a couple of rescues ask about garden ponds and/or swimming pools in their list of rehoming questions.

I can understand that a dog falling into a swimming pool with no way of getting out would be a problem, but do ponds really pose a danger?

Just interested really!

I guess it depends on the pond (and the dog!)

A deep pond with steep sides could be a hazard, especially to a small dog or pup.

Also a pond could be a problem if the people want to rehaome a lab (for example) and haven't realised the affinity they have - or the mess it could create!!

I suppose if it were a short-legged very unathletic dog it might be a risk... Or perhaps they are worried about damage? A lot of garden ponds have those rubber inners that probably tear easily? wacko.gif Or perhaps bluegreen algae...?

I've noticed that newly adopted rabbits often seemed keen to try to hop across the surface of my pond (not usually more than once though laugh.gif ) but my dogs don't seem interested in it.

we ask about ponds as some are raised but still close enough to the ground for a dog to jump into and some have steep sides so they find it difficult to get out again particularly puppies.

Also as a keeper of koi myself (very beautiful but very expensive) we would try to avoid homing a water baby type dog in a home with a pond so as not to distress the fish already living there, not that its a problem with staffies as everyone knows they melt in water :laugh: but some bull breeds actually like water :ohmy: though not of course to the same degree as Labs :rolleyes:

That's interesting, thank you. You've reminded me about a foster dog who walked straight out onto the duck weed on our local public pond. Fortunately she was on a long lead so we could haul her out, but she was less than impressed with going right under.

Sad about the puppies, I don't think that I'd want a puppy of any breed unsupervised near water though.

So I don't need to tell OH that he needs to fill in his (shallow and not steep sided) wildlife pond before we offer a home to a rescue dog then?