UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Starting The Good Citizen Gold Again Tonight..........

Tempest

Some of you might remember that I did the course for the Gold Good Citizen award with Ollie last summer but we pulled out at the last minute as his out of sight down stays were pretty patchy :ohmy:

Well we've signed up again to have another go this time around and the first class starts again tonight :ohmy:

Will be interesting to see how we get on as we only train in the outdoor compound in the summer so I'm not sure how he'll do when I go out of sight :unsure: He's fine in the training hall but for some reason when we do it outside it all goes highly ropey!!

Wish us luck - we'll need it!! I'll report back later............ :ph34r:

Lotty trailie took her Gold and passed a few weeks back :D

Out of sight down stay was going to be the sticky one, I knew, as a few dogs didnt do well in practice, Lotty included.

The day before the test I got her to lie down at home, and I wandered around, in and out of the stables, in and out of sight, for about 10 minutes. A couple of times I had to put her back in position but she did it in the end and got a big yummy reward for it.

At training I kept an eye on the dogs that were good at it and on the test I put her between 2 good dogs. She did it perfect although 4 out of the 12 dogs taking the test failed on this part (the ones either side of her passed too) :)

Thanks guys :flowers: We've only just got back from class and things went better than expected really :biggrin:

I didn't go fully 'out of sight' on the down stay - just kept barely in sight and Ollie didn't break the stay which is loads better than last year :biggrin: Last year I couldn't get out of the gate without him getting up!

I don't remember there being an out of sight stay, because i know meg can't managed that, yet she has her gold. :huh:

I know there was a stay (10 paces away? i can't remember) and there was relaxed isolation, but for that we just had to leave them tied up or loose in a room by themselves and they just had to be relaxed, and not making a fuss, they didn't have to stay.

We have to do an out of sight stay for our club gold and meg really can't manage that yet as she panics, so we definately weren't required to do that for our kc gold. thank god! :unsure:

Good luck. You are very brave :flowers:

I know with my dog Digger it would be almost impossible to do as he is really clingy and insecure. I have given up any ideas about passing the Gold. We haven't done Silver yet but I am fairly confident he could pass but I am laid up for a few weeks and cannot get to class but I think we will have a go when we get back.

Our trainer has moved us up to the Gold class as Digger is quite good at all the other stuff and I think the trainer has high hopes for us. We will keep working at it though :rolleyes: