UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Well That Was An Unmitigated Disaster!

Kerrio

Went to our 5th (6th?) Agility class tonight. Up until now Tealeaf has really done well and I have been very proud of him, though he tends to get a bit over-wound by then end and starts to bark a bit at the other excited dogs and lunge around on the lead and not listen, but only for the last 15/20 mins.

Tonight from the word go he was pogo-ing, shrieking and struggling on the lead, shouting his head off and an extreem overexcited manner and not listening to me or the liver treats.

After 20 mins I took him away and went for a walk instead.

We'll try again next week but if its the same I think thats us done for agility!

*sigh*

Not best pleased with him or myself!

Thats a shame, sometimes it gets very exciting for dogs once they know what they are doing. My Dizzy is a screecher, though I can get her attention with food (not for long).

I tend to stay away from the crowd and keep her out of the way (easier said than done if you are in a close space).

A good thing to practice is your classic walk away when he starts going over the top - this may mean as you are walking to the agility area. As soon as he calm down, head back to the class - if he gets over the top again, just turn him away and walk off. Basically it could take a while, but should learn that silly behaviour results in nothing and is taken away from what he likes. When he is calm, he is allowed to stay and participate. I know it seems like a lot of hard work, but it would eventually pay off.

I do hope you sort something out, it would be a shame to stop as you both enjoyed it.

Wishing you luck and hopefully fun :)

I think there was something in the air last night!

Flynn spent a good 5 minutes running in big circles round the field before being caught, Dee stole her lead and ran in circles having a great time, then stole a food pot and did the same, and Sophie actually broke into a bit of a trot :ohno02:

I'd definitely give it another chance - when Morse started he spent most of the time running in circles and avoiding all the equipment. He is now much better, though occasionally gets over excited by his kong-on-a-rope (I spent most of Monday trying to get it off of him so he could have his next go :rolleyes: )

Oh Tealeaf you naughty boy! Don't give up yet, I guarantee that the trainers at your class will have seen worse in their time. Perhaps try taking a higher value treat if possible such as sliced chicken, or if he is toy motivated playing with a tuggy. I combated over excitement with a combination of removing from the situation (going to stand quietly in the corner), doing lots of sits, downs and stays, and plenty of controlled tuggy games. At least his passion must mean he likes it! :biggrin:

Don't give up after 6 lessons, that's just the time they suddenly realise what it's all about and start really looking forward to it hence the shrieking and shouting.

Dudley gets out of the car and starts shouting 'I'm here now' so everyone can get ready to greet him.

I honestly don't think Tealeaf looks forward to the excerxise, possibly all the other dogs running around - but not the actually agility bit.

But then he is a quintissential sighthound :laugh:

My Trainer has just got another Lurcher Puppy to join Oscar and Molly the Lurchers so take heart Kerri, it's definitely a lurcher/pointy thing...eventually ;)

Charliegoo was the same in his agility days - I used to let him off the lead and he'd zoom around everywhere going over jumps, through the tunnel and then come back to me to sit and wait. He was generally quite good, but he was just too fast, and didn't listen to what I was asking him to do. He'd just try and guess the next move. In the end, we became more interested in the flyball, and gave up. He enjoyed it, but because he had to listen to what I was telling him, unless it was a basic course, I stood no chance of getting him to do it :rolleyes: :wub:

Like the others say though, don't give up - the only reason I did was because we found something that we both enjoyed more (and involved no running around on my part :biggrin: ), had I stuck with it, he would have been a pretty good dog I think :)

:( Ever thought about flyball? Barky bouncy manic dogs are welcome there - as long as they go and get their ball, they can make as much noise as they want :)

Yes but I don't want a manic barky dog learning to bark and boing when he sees other dogs! Walking 5 is hard enough.

If he's not enjoying it, then removing him from the environment isn't going to teach him it's a good thing to do :(

Have you seen 'Click to Calm by Emma Parsons - I'd be inclined to use those sorts of techniques to get calmness from your boy....