UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Food In The Ring

lucyandmeg

I need to build up ellies confidence about jumping in the ring. At the moment she is likely to refuse to do anything without food, so we aren't quite up to trying competing again, but i am hoping eventually to start with a nfc jumping round (She lost her confidence on contacts and then stopped jumping because she thought it would lead to contacts). SHes not very toy motivated so i bought her a material type toy that can be filled with treats, velcroed up and then used as a tuggy. Shes more keep on this, presumably becuase she can smell the treats inside. Would i be allowed to use this in the ring provided i didn't open it? I presumed the rule was so that you couldn't drop food which will distract other dogs. Also is it permissable to carry a little food in your pocket but not give them any til their out of the ring? Are the kennel club shows stricter than uka for example or are they all the same?

you arent really allowed food in the ring fullstop incase you drop it. i always have food on me but it is zipped in my pocket so there is no danger of dropping it. to be honest, if you were to ask uka or kc about your toy im sure theyd say no so id just take it in so long as you wont drop food.

yeah, obviously there have to be rules and they have to be the same for everyone but i really dont see the harm if theres no risk. i always rub sausage all over my fingers just before i go in the ring to help with my contacts...

not that it works of course

Hi,

Not sure about UKA rules, but the KC rule is "Food shall not be carried in the hand or given to a dog whilst in the ring"; you can have it in your pocket, or leave it in a bag or coat at the ringside for example.

You cannot take toys into the ring either at a KC show, but think that may be a 'custom and practice' rule as I can't find a specific rule (but I don't have the red book here with rules in), but again you can have them in a pocket (as long as no danger of them falling out) or leave them by the ring.

Also, you cannot do a 'training round' at a KC show, but I believe that you can at UKA?

Nicola :)

hi, you can do a training round in uka, you will then have one minute in the ring- you still can't take food into the ring though. You might get away with the food throw bag, but they are becoming the 'in' trainig aid so be prepared for the judge to recognise and disallow it orask you to empty it of food before entering the ring.

Nicola I think the KC issue is covered by the 'thou shalt not train in the ring' rule- i.e. no toys, no food (and having food in your pocket can be construed as a training aid, although very few judges would even think about it with the size of classes nowadays unless dogs suddenly started sniffing in the ring !)- some judges will ask you to leave for putting a dog back on a contact or resetting dog in a wait before you get over the first jump. There is even some talk about tuggies not being allowed on end of leads if new rule brought in next year :rolleyes: kc, bless 'em :wacko:

If you want to train I would def go to UKa show-you could do all your runs training if you wanted to. You could do agility and just do the jumps if you wanted to build confidence around them. You could always have 2 bags and swap the one with food in for the empty one just outside the ring. Just enter classes as normal, then when the 'pad ' person pulls your ticket out ask her to declare you as a training round- she should tell the scrimer who will let the judge know and tell you when your minute starts and ends.

good luck with your training, Karen :)

Nicola I think the KC issue is covered by the 'thou shalt not train in the ring' rule- i.e. no toys, no food

Ahhhh but there is no rule about training in the ring - it is "there shall be no practising in the ring before or during the competition", which is widely believed to be concerned with actually practising the course with your dog, for example early in the morning!

SO can you not go NFC in kc shows? I've always done UKA shows and have only contemplated doing the kc shows this year - although i have to say the more i find out and having dealt with them i am finding the uka shows far more attractive! KC shows are so strict! What happened to the fun?

SO can you not go NFC in kc shows? I've always done UKA shows and have only contemplated doing the kc shows this year - although i have to say the more i find out and having dealt with them i am finding the uka shows far more attractive! KC shows are so strict! What happened to the fun?

It's still fun. but the fact is that most KC shows are so popular that they are bursting at the seams and just couldn't afford the time it would take to let people who want to do a training round do it, quite apart from the debatable rule aspect.

I'm sure there would be quite a lot of people with new or troublesome dogs who would love to be able to run round with a toy or food.

UKA can afford the luxury of allowing NFC rounds because they have lower entries and they are trying to attract the newbies before they get hooked on KC competition.

I have occasionally used unaffiliated shows as a pressure free opportunity to give my young dogs ring practice at a level lower than they are at under KC rules.

I have also effectively done NFC/training rounds in KC shows.

One of my dogs can't keep his head together for a whole competitive round so I have been known to ask a judge who I know will be sympathetic if it's OK if we just do a few jumps and then go out. (I would do it anyway, but it's only polite to mention it.)

It takes less time than trying to get him back on course if he goes off on one.

You just have to learn how to play the system.

Pam

Ahhhh but there is no rule about training in the ring - it is "there shall be no practising in the ring before or during the competition", which is widely believed to be concerned with actually practising the course with your dog, for example early in the morning!

Hmm, interesting,so this is what judges then translate to no practising waits,contacts etc- Iwonder if the kc are actually aware of this,mind you there'sa fair few scarey judges out there that I'm not going to argue with either way!!

Lucy NFC for KC are strictly speaking the dogs you are supposed to list that you take to the show but not to run in any ring :wacko: . Whatever the regs say I have never seen anyone using toys or training aids in a kc ring, although if you go to a small show, say one with only elem/starter/nov classes then the judges are likely to be friendlier- I guess coz there's less rush ,smaller classes at these usually. For me there is def a friendlier atmosphere at UKA shows,I will certainly be starting Giz at them efore braving kc ones :)