UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Tail Paralysis

cycas

Ronnie (my mother's oldie collie x) has a problem. His tail has suddenly stopped working.

Usually he holds his tail up when he is happy and is a very waggy dog: now he doesn't seem to be able to move it at all.

He is otherwise happy and healthy and eating well. He's off to the vet tomorrow, but has anyone heard of anything like this? Any advice?

Have answered elsewhere, but it sounds very much like what Max had last year on holiday, after he'd been in the sea for the first time. He's also a very waggy dog but his tail just lost its wag :( . I had heard of the condition before and left it for a day - with him looking very confused! - and his wag came back the next day.

Of course it might be something different with Ronnie, but I wondered if he had been in water recently?

Thanks Donna, I'm sure that is the link that I vaguely remembered someone posting!

I will send it on to my Mum: I'm not sure if Ronnie had been in the sea just before the problem, but given what a little waterdog he is, I wouldn't be at all surprised.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a followup to this.

Ronnie is still not able to hold his tail up properly. He can wag it a bit, but he can't hold it arched up over his back as he used to, and as a result it tends to get mucky when he poos and needs to be kept clean. :sick01:

We met up on Saturday so I got a chance to have a good look. It's not painful, just - numb. I think his back legs are very slightly wobbly as well (though that didn't stop him having a good trot and leading the way most of the way) .

Mum has stopped playing ball with him to try to encourage him to rest a bit more.

Here is what he looked like in March:

bude10.jpg

And on Saturday:

ronniepose.jpg

He's still very cheerful, but not quite right I think. As well as the tail, I think his floppy ear is flopping more than it used to.

Any further suggestions very welcome: the vet just says wait.

Lily had a couple of bouts of this - her tail would suddenly go straight down instead of out and she seemed only to be able to wag the very end of it just a tiny bit. Her problem turned out to be anal glands! It seems because her rear end hurt, she was holding everything including her tail completely rigid. Since she had her anal glands removed (not because they stopped her tail working!) the problem has never come back.

Hope Ronnie gets his happy tail back soon.

Lily had a couple of bouts of this - her tail would suddenly go straight down instead of out and she seemed only to be able to wag the very end of it just a tiny bit. Her problem turned out to be anal glands! It seems because her rear end hurt, she was holding everything including her tail completely rigid. Since she had her anal glands removed (not because they stopped her tail working!) the problem has never come back.

Hope Ronnie gets his happy tail back soon.

I remember another dog with a similar sounding condition, which turned out to be anal glands too.