UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Puppy Food

griff

Well if shes gaining weight, all be it slower than you'd like, the vet is happy that there is no medical problem etc you may just have to wait until she decides she's hungry.

Not sure about the grass / mud thing really, perhaps as a pup she'll grow out of it though you could google pica if need be.

How long are you lettng her be picky before offering something else?

She may just be not hungry. I wouldn't worry about a missed meal or only eating a small amount if she has plenty of energy- my vet;s advice.

Offering her lots of different things to tempt her to eat will make her picky.

One of mine used to miss a mea/sl regularly. I used to worry to begin with but learned that she didn't eat if she wasn't hungry. She didn't eat what I considered a decent meal until she was 9 months old.

I had one adult who would miss several meals at a time. I said I wouldn't worry until I could see her ribs. It never happened. She was never a greedy dog.

Not always easy perhaps, particularly with a puppy but I'd agree that a dog wont generally starve themselves. Assuming you don't want them to graze have you tried taking it away if uneaten within a certain time & then just waiting until next meal time?

yes, i take the food off her after a maximum of 15 minutes and the only thing she will get is treats when we are training... and i can't put the training off. i have had her on chicken (the raw block thing) since thursday and for the first few meals she was fine and then back to not wanting to eat.... but i haven't changed the food and i am looking into other options, i was told at my vets that if they leave food you are feeding too much and if they get a scurfy coat you aren't feeding enough... well she is leaving food and has a scurfy coat so i don't know what to do

It would usually be used for sick animals or abandoned pups and could be argued that you may create a rod for your own back / habit if you choose to go down that route but if you are seriously wooried and feel that you can't just wait for her to eat it is possible to force feed using a syringe when feeding wet food. Example here

http://www.vetinfo.com/using-a-feeding-syringe-for-dogs.html

cheers Ian. today she has ate breakfast.... that's all!

I would be inclined to fed her a small meal that she will eat.

If she seems hungry when she has eaten it you can always give some more but you are maybe giving her more than she needs and she is being sensible.

I tis better that she eat a small amount regularly than just have one large meal.