UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Puppy Food

griff

i have a pup, we have tried two different flavours of puppy food and she isn't even eating 2 meals a day.. she really doesn't like it but will happily eat the food laney is on, does she really need puppy food? my theory is that years ago there was no complete food and dogs used to eat scraps and survived so i think she will be o.k on his food. i am worried sick she isn't going to gain weight as she will not eat her puppy food no matter how hungry she gets

Probably not, depends on what you are feeding Laney.

I agree with your theory and also in the wild dogs would all eat the same prey that was killed. Pups might have smaller pieces and the mum may have selected certain cuts for them but they didn't have any specially killed for them.

What are you feeding Laney on? Do they do a puppy version of that? Also if you are feeding her dried food and she is teething, she might not want to eat because her teeth are sore, whereas if you are feeding Laney a wet food, she might prefer that as it's softer for her to eat. We are having to change Charlie's food as he is struggling with kibble now as his old teeth are sore :unsure:

thankyou both, i am feeding laney this

http://www.wolfit.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=2_11&products_id=77

they don't do a puppy version, only chicken and rice, i have given her a large handful and she has ate the lot, the most she has eaten in one go since i have had her! they are quite small biscuits anyway so she has had no bother eating them, i think i will just stick to feeding her those.... just need to guess how much to feed her now Lol

Regarding amounts - have a look at how much she should be eating as a full grown adult and feed that much over how ever many meals she has. Certainly that is what we do when we are raw feeding. ie a 20kg adult dog should have between 400g and 600g a day as an adult so a pup would have the same amount over 4-6 meals a day.

I don't know if this equation works with dry food but it might be a starting point for you, or compare the protein and calorie values on the puppy food she won't eat with the Wolfit one and then feed the amount the puppy food suggests with relevant adjustments.

most dogs here are fed on curry and rice or fish and rice and there is no puppy version of that and if they get enough food they grow ! I have many house holds with vegetarian dogs who are in stunning health

a lot of food companies do samples , why not try asking for a few and see if you can find some thing to the pups taste ?

• Like 1

One of my retrievers would not eat puppy food from teh day she arrived in the house, despite eating it when with the breeder.

She would eat my adult retrievers food ,even picking it out if I mixed them.

I eventually fed her as I had fed my pups years ago. Weetabix for breakfast.

Scrambled egg, fish fingers, macaroni cheese, or boiled chicken, with some plain mixer mixed in. Some mince if we were having it.

At six months she went onto adult food.

Now that I feed raw my pups get exactly the same diet as the adults.

puppy food tends to be slightly higher in protein and perhaps calories than the same manufacturers standard food for older dogs but I can't see any reason at all that any decent should cause problems - particularly if the dog is more inclined to eat it than the puppy food

I'm not sure how long you've had her & you may well have already tried / thought of all this but off the top of my head

Is she eating the food Laney is on seperately or stealing it from Laneys dish?

Would she eat more if fed away from Laney, if fed a wet food rather than complete?

Anything that may have caused a loss of appetite (eg recent vaccinations, change in environment) or do you think she's just picky?

to be honest ian i think she is just picky, she will eat biscuits if you hand feed her... i use them for training, she will eat the food sometimes if i soak it and then the next time she wants it dry, she seems to be a snacker and obviously i don't want to get into leaving food down so i remove it. i have just bought some weetabix and goats milk today to give that a try, basically i think she is just fussy and i don't want to encourage it but i understand she is a young pup who is growing and needs to eat. she doesn't care if laney is there and she will pinch food out of his bowl... and he has food issues himself (his stand has to be in an exact position or else he won't eat)

well Dakota had her second jabs and microchip yesterday, she was weighed and has put weight on, she was 4.1kg 3 weeks ago and is now 4.7kilos, she still isn't eating a great deal... i mentioned it to the nurse and he said put her food down, leave it for a while and if she doesn't eat it take it back up and feed her nothing until her next meal (which i have been doing anyway), he also said it would be better for her to be on a puppy food but to be honest i am not buying her anymore foods to try . She seems to like to eat mud and grass and i have just given up on worrying about her eating for now, if she begins to look under weight then i will have a chat with the vet