UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Uka Advice

leonak

i need to get an entry to the show at brentwood next month but cant decided what classes to do. its either sat and do gamblers or sun and do snooker. thing is, i read that you might have to direct the dog round a bit of the gamblers course from a distance and im not sure about that so if anyone has done it and can advice that would be great!

Hi,

I find both of those types of classes really tricky :laugh: Infact I am dreading this year as quite a lot of shows give seniors a gamblers class as one of their runs :mad:

Will you be competing at beginners level at UKA? If so, I would doubt that the gamble would be too tricky, and they might have 2 options, one where you can do it by handling normally, and the other where you handle the same sequence from a distance and get more points if you do it right. I entered a snooker class once and found it quite complicated, but I might just be a bit dense :laugh:

If I had to choose I would go for the gamblers rather than the snooker, but that is just my opinion :biggrin:

thanks for that. im doing snooker at uka next weekend i think...must check entry. it sounds terribly complicated but it was that or do fewer classes and i cant really see the point in driving all that way for 2 classes. hopefully i will be late in the class so i can watch a few people. itl be my first 'proper' show so i do hope i understand whats going on!

if you do the handling from a distance, what kind of thing would it be? are we talking sending the dog away, left, right, round, through kind of thing?

Guest Potty

UKA shows are really lovely - you are very unlikely to get anything that you can't cope with at the level you have entered. The judge will do a nice clear briefing. When you sit down and read the rules it all seems a bit complicated but when the course is there in front of you, plus with others in the same boat, you'll realise its not so bad after all :-)

I'll be there on the Sunday, so if you get stuck do come and dig me out :D

Soraya

thanks,

just looking through uka rule book and now the snooker looks terrifying! im doing it on sunday so bit worried! just been confirmed on the training thing greg and laura are doing on friday so thats good although we havent done any agility for 2 weeks through a broken toe nail (dogs not mine)

I agree, I prefer power and speed - very straight forward.

I always think Gamblers is a bit of a panic run :laugh: - well it is for me. Snooker is fun and once you know which obstacles you want to do, the rest is easier, but the last one I did absolutely knackered me - I really needed some oxygen when I crossed the finish. The first one was over in seconds - my dog knocked down the first jump (red) and carried on up the a-frame before I could stop her - so was eliminated :ohmy: .

In Gamblers you have to complete a set number of obstacles in a certain time when the whistle blows. At UKA they usually have two gambles, one gets more points than the other. The higher point gamble is obviously harder and can be something like - two jumps in a straight line and then back through a tunnel, but you have to stay behind a line (hope that made sense).

l

l <.......l=======l <....... (tunnel)

l

l ........>I ........>I .............^ (jumps)

l

l

Edited by Dizzycharm

• 2 weeks later...