UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Jumble Could Have Been Killed Today

Pendlewitch

I walk the dogs down a lane which is sort of in two parts, halfway along it's open to the road because there is a farmer's gate but the lane is well set back. Coming up to the gap both the dogs on long leads are brought back short and Jumble does go behind, a command he knows well and obeys instantly. This morning for some unknown reason just as we were crossing the gap he shot out on to the road flat out and as he does the BC curved run out he was looking back at me as a car flew round the corner. I'd swear my hear stopped as I shrieked Jumble come, he did not see the car at all because of the angle and he actually brushed the side of it. The brush made him jump forward and he ran back to me and I near on passed out on the spot, he had been an inch from serious injury or death!

I'm still so shocked at how easily it happened and how near I was to losing him, he'll be on the lead near the gap now!

It doesn't take much and when you think of all the times we pay such attention to the safety of our dogs. Then you take your eye of the ball and have a near miss. I've been there so I know how you feel :GroupHug: Get yourself a wee tipple of something.

Last year I was driving down our the main road - country area so quiet road. I noticed a man coming out of his gate with his springr spaniel gun dog at his heel.

As he turned round to latch the gate- a double sided farm gate- she was standing a little to the side looking intenetly across the road.

Something told me she was going to cross the road and I started slowing down. As I was nearly level, sure enough, she run across the road in front of me. I braked hard and she disappeared from view.

Then she reappeared scuttling back into the middle of road with her tail tucked in and glaring back at me over her shoulder. Her owner had realised what had happened and, looking very shocked, he called her to him. She ran over the verge where he was. Fortunately, no other traffic had come along.

By this time I had pulled the car over to the side of the road and went over to check how she was.

I wasn't sure of I had hit her but he said that yes, i had caught her a glancing blow. However she wan't showing pain or discomfort.

His comment was 'She is a strong bitch. She will be okay.'

I explained as a dog owner I had been very aware of her intense staring and had anticipated her running out and had slowed down , just in case.

He thanked me saying ' thank goodness you had slowed down' and then the ineveitable 'She has never done that before.'

Although the bitch was not badly hurt I expect she would be bruised and it did leave me very shaken.