UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Bipolar - Anyone Got Any Experiences?

K9Fran

I managed to get an appt to see my Dr this morning. I explained I hadn't taken any anti depressants since mid Dec, and had been experiencing some huge highs and deep lows, but this weekend had the highest of highs - singing out loud in Dunelms and Pets at Home, if I could physically have done it, I'd have been skipping down the road - it was scary with a capital SC...

She thinks I may be bipolar!! :ohmy: I've always been 'up and down', and have been taking anti depressants for nearly 2 years now (not any more) She's going to refer me to the mental health team as a 'soon' rather than 'urgent' case.

Does anyone else have any experience, 'cos I'm a bit scared. My birth father died at a young age of carbon monoxide poisoning - open verdict, in 1964 - I wonder if it's something I've inherited?

My aunt was diagnosed a manic depressive , which is now called bipolar. There wan't much treatment in those days- basically ride it out. She would spend weeks in her bed then suddenly get up one day feeling on top of the world.

Her second born son also suffers from it.

I don't know anything about his treatment as he lives down in London and has minimal contact with the family up here, but he does have treatment , including residential treatment in the Priory clinic in London at times.

I used to work with someone with bipolar. His highs and lows were each for weeks or months at a time, rather than how you are describing. That's not to say that there isn't more than one type though!

Hope that you get some prompt and expert guidance soon :flowers: