UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Insurance - Strange Assumption?

Karen

I was just about to run a quote through Petplan for insuring a dog and you have to click a box to confirm several things...I can understand the first 3 but the last two seem a bit odd.

I do work from home some of the time, but I can't honestly see what difference that would make one way or the other. Any bright ideas?

Your pet has not had a claim or complaint made against it in the past 5 years.

Your pet has not attacked, bitten or been aggressive towards a person or other animal or shown any aggressive tendencies.

Your pet is not connected in anyway with a trade occupation or business.

Your pet does not live in premises that sell alcohol.

Neither you nor anyone living with you, work from home, nor is your pet taken to work with you or anyone else.

I was just about to run a quote through Petplan for insuring a dog and you have to click a box to confirm several things...I can understand the first 3 but the last two seem a bit odd.

I do work from home some of the time, but I can't honestly see what difference that would make one way or the other. Any bright ideas?

Your pet has not had a claim or complaint made against it in the past 5 years.

Your pet has not attacked, bitten or been aggressive towards a person or other animal or shown any aggressive tendencies.

Your pet is not connected in anyway with a trade occupation or business.

Your pet does not live in premises that sell alcohol.

Neither you nor anyone living with you, work from home, nor is your pet taken to work with you or anyone else.

I guess it's to rule out 'guarding or protection' dogs, or the possibility of the dog biting somebody on your employers premises.

What's the difference I wonder between being at home all day as a retired person or with children and working at home?

If you contact them you might find that it only applies to any claim connected to the business use , so cover for any damage or injury to people visiting the premises in connection with the business.

Strangers coming to the house represent more chance of a possible third party claim- more people coming and going , more potential for the dogs to react to them in a friendly way or otherwise, and more potential for the dogs to get loose and cause trouble, and maybe more potential for theft of a dog.

But it better to be safe than sorry.

A few years ago many people were disturbed to learn that when their insurance company said they did not cover dogs used for breeding that it did not mean just for anything related to breeding but they did not cover them , full stop, and their insurance was invalid.