UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Riley

riley

Hi guys,

As some of you will have read Riles had to be pts on Saturday. It wasn't an easy passing and the vet need 4x doses before it took effect. It will sound crazy, I know but because he fought it and because it was so hard, I'm haunted by the feling he's lost in the dark and doesn't know where he is or why I'm not with him. :mecry:

It must be so hard for you Amanda. I haven't had to deal with that situation myself as our pets have gone in their sleep. You will be feeling the full brunt of his loss at the moment and the fact that you felt he was fighting won't have made it easier. Not sure what to advise about your feelings hun, but he won't be lost in the dark. :GroupHug: :GroupHug: He is now resting and no longer suffering. Run free Riley :wub:

:GroupHug: Amanda

Must have been awful for you, but I'm certain that Riles will be running and playing in the sunshine, wishing to see you smile. I personally don't believe any of the 'lost in the dark' stuff and we go from here to our heaven instantly. Lots of animals and people don't have an easy passing but when they are released there can only be light and joy. Thats what I believe.

Lots of love to you all :flowers:

Some animals do fight because that is in their nature, they just will not give in and would rather continue in suffering. It seems to happen more with dogs with a strong sense of responsibility for their household. Humphrey fought the vet when he was too weak to stand, and his last night with us was spent in his bed guarding the front door as usual. I wanted to have him in my bed but he wouldn't consider it. His prime concern was to look after us all, and there was no way he would relinquish his post.

From my own beliefs and experiences, if an animal has a problem crossing the Bridge someone from the other side comes to collect them.

I wish I had some words that would help you feel better about his passing :GroupHug:

For what it's worth I think it's in our natures to go over and over it in our heads, wondering if you did the right thing, did they understand you were doing it out of love for them. I don't think he's in a dark place, I think you sent him on his way with great love and that will have helped him go to the summerlands, and that's where he will wait for you.

I don't know if this helps, but I went with a friend to have her elderly cat PTS, it took multiple doses before he passed on, and it was difficult to watch, but the vet explained that because his systems were already shutting down, they weren't processing the chemicals in the anesthetic properly. Although it's distressing to witness, it's almost confirmation that all that is happening is accelerating the inevitable.

Don't worry, Riley is busy exploring his new home, so he can show you his favourite places when you are ready to join him and all your other fur kids, past, present and future.

Thank you all for your kind words, it means much. Owl, your words have particular significance, when my very dear step dad died there was a particular song always on the radio, haven't heard it played in years yet when I left the vets on Sat that was the song that was being played on the radio. Allan and Riles had a real affinity, so much so that Mentioned it to H when I got home and said "it was almost as if Allan came for him" x

:GroupHug: :GroupHug:

What Owl said is right and you've also answered your own question :flowers: Your step dad was there and that was their way of letting you know. Riley is fine and safe :GroupHug:

I can second what K9Fran said. Several years ago my young cat was ill but was misdiagnosed by a vet, by the time i realised how serious it was it was too late for Casey. The emergency vet was fantastic but it took 3 injections and nearly 20 mins for Casey to die. His system had virtually come to a standstill. The vet was very upset and said he'd never had an animal do this before, to be honest i think it upset him more than me :( I understood what was happening but it shook the poor vet up.

Thank you all for your kind words, it means much. Owl, your words have particular significance, when my very dear step dad died there was a particular song always on the radio, haven't heard it played in years yet when I left the vets on Sat that was the song that was being played on the radio. Allan and Riles had a real affinity, so much so that Mentioned it to H when I got home and said "it was almost as if Allan came for him" x

That is lovely.

:GroupHug: I'm sorry to read of your loss & what appeared to have been a difficult passing for you & Riley. A few words from this poem came to my mind as I read your post

May I Go Now?

May I go now? Do you think the time is right? May I say goodbye to pain filled days and endless lonely nights? I've lived my life and done my best, an example tried to be. So can I take that step beyond and set my spirit free?

I didn't want to go at first, I fought with all my might. But something seems to draw me now to a warm and loving light. I want to go I really do. It's difficult to stay.

But I will try as best I can to live just one more day. To give you time to care for me and share your love and fears. I know you're sad and afraid, because I see your tears.

I'll not be far, I promise that, and hope you'll always know that my spirit will be close to you wherever you may go. Thank you so for loving me. You know I love you too, that's why it's hard to say goodbye and end this life with you.

So hold me now just one more time and let me hear you say, because you care so much for me, you'll let me go today.

• Written for a beloved pet & friend, by Susan A. Jackson

I'm inclined to believe that Riley is far from lost & will indeed always be with you in spirit at least

RIP Riley :GroupHug:

Thank you Ian, that's beautiful. And thank you all for your supposrt and words of wisdom. It's a week tomorrow and I still call him to come and share lunch/eat some meat from the fridge whilst I'm making sandwiches.He should be 'home' on Monday and I've bought a Rosemary plant and huge pot for him. I thought about burying his ashes in the garden around his favourite bush but then he couldnt come with me if we ever moved so a pot it is.

We've decided to take the children abroad for a holiday (something we never did when we had Riles as we wouldn't leave him) then when Lucy starts mursery in Sept we'll be welcoming a new sighthound into our lives. It was a privilage to have Riley, we were the lucky ones and his legacy will be that there's always room for a pointy by our fire. Love you ol' man.