UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Why I'm So Reluctant To Use "preventative" Treatments

BillyMalc

Hi Eve, which part of France do you live in? We are down in the SW in a completely rural community - our nearest neighbours are a herd of cows. Do you feed dry or wet food because you could always crush the garlic tablets and add them to the food. Please believe me when I say it works. As you know we have had fabulous weather since the end of February and our count of ticks is now up to 3. I check them everyday - which is how I have found the 3 ticks they have had. Garlic does work. You need to be creative because yes, you are slowly killing your dogs. Think about it - years ago when dogs were fed scraps and never had vaccinations they regularly lived until they were 20. Now we fill them with chemicals from flea and tick products, vaccinate them every year and then put poisons down their stomachs to control worms and how long do they live?

Anne

I'm in the north but it is very rural - we too have cows as next door neighbours and are surrounded by farmland and forest. I've never given tick treatment to any of my dogs before, and maybe it was just luck but none of them ever got fleas or ticks, but when we were travelling back and forward between France and UK we had to because of the pet passport regs. Now that I've moved here permanantly that isn't an issue but I carried on with the treatment on vet's advice. I will be purchasing the garlic tablets asap and will try and be creative with getting them into Tiffy as you suggest - maybe mash them into cream cheese or something. You cannot hide pills in her food - she has dry kibble but even if you add sausage or chicken if there is a pill in it she will not touch it. She can also hold a pill in her throat for twenty minutes and when you think she has swallowed it she'll suddenly spit it out - little madam :laugh: Thank you for your advice :flowers:

My first dog was like that but as you say crushed into cream cheese even he could not resist. I don't think the north is as bad for ticks as down here in the south - probably because we are warmer. My vet is lovely but she is still not completely convinced by my natural way of dealing with healthcare. She is getting better especially as my dogs have only had 3 ticks and the average down here on an untreated dog is 30 per DAY !!!. Also down here Frontline doesn't work against the ticks and fleas as they have become resistant, the only thing that is effective against ticks and the sand flies that carry leichmanionsis is Scalibor and both my dogs are violently allergic. So we use garlic and check the dogs regularly for the rare one that does attach (it takes about 24 -48 hours for a tick to pass lyme disease into the host so vigilance should stop that one) and we keep them indoors for an hour before and then until an hour after dusk and then the sand flies can't get them.

Now - my problem is how do I stop one of my dogs trying to PLAY with the snakes !!!!!!

Anne

I had a bitch who also was a nightmare to give pills to. You would find them in her bed hours later, even after pushing them down her throat as far as you could reach and watching her like a hawk afterwards.

She chewed everything and could extract a pill from cream cheese and spit it out.

Eventually, I discovered a way that did work for her.

I lined up three of four pieces of something yummy that the pill could be hidden in- not always the same thing. One thing she loved was bread so a small bite sized 'sandwich' with the pill in the middle with different fillings was a favourite. Pate, sardines, tuna etc

I gave her one untreated while showing her I had another ready in my other hand to give immediately. That way she wolfed down the first while watching the second one in my hand.

Gave her the second and while holding the third, doctored one , in view. Gave her that one while holding the next one ready and immediately offering her it, before she had swallowed the third one.

In her enthusiasm to get the next treat, and having had to untreated ones, she swallowed the treats quickly and without suspicion.

Voila, one pill swallowed.

Fast delivery and hidden in one in the middle of the delivery of several treats worked for her.

Thank goodness for my Dallie who only needed a 'what's this' and he swallowed it.

• 3 weeks later...

We use Program injections twice a year on the cats - covers for fleas and ticks and a sort of worm and the dogs get Program Plus tablets for fleas and ticks recommend both - new puppy on Advocate as he can't have Program till he's over 6 months

We live in a very rural area and can recommend Program - our vets have to order it in for us as we don't use spot ons for the cats since 3 went blad after application and then took an allergic reaction to the dog spot on - the dogs and cats sleep together hence transfer