UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Vacuum Recommendations Please

Angel155

I know this has been covered many times, but I am in the need of a new vacuum. I have a Dyson (DC01 or DC04 not sure which) the handle has snapped off and I have had it for over 10 years so am now due a new one.

Any recommendations? The army have given us cream carpets in this house, and with a black dog it is no mean feat trying to get the hairs up.

So over to you guys, thanks in advance xx

I asked the same question a year or so ago - and ended up buying the Miele Cat and Dog (or something like that) based on what people said. The only comment I would make is that the hairs end up fastened around the brush thing, and I always have to have a session at the end of hair removal - but I am actually generally pleased with it.

Controversially, maybe, I have discovered that, as I don't have particularly good carpets, a brisk sweep around with a clean stiff brush does wonders for aiding the whole process - probably 'cause I don't do the vacuuming bit as often as I should to start with!

Does anyone use any of the "Henry" range? I have seen that they do a "Harry the hound" pet one now.

The Miele users, do you have upright or cylinder?

Ex miele cat and dog user here. Was absolutely crap at picking up gsd hair. I had to go over carpets with a zoom groom to get them out every time I hoovered. It also blew up within 2 years. I use an upright dyson which does the job for me and has lasted 7 years so far....

Topic after my own heart laugh.gif

I have tried all the bag-less versions , including 2 Dysons and they never really worked for me ( you would have thought I would have stopped at 1 Dyson ! ) the major problems I found were hairs left behind on carpet especially the stairs and the smell of dog whilst vacuuming ( that was a real problem with the 2nd Dyson which was designed for dog hair )

on Saturday I brought the Miele Cat & Dog and it's working fantastically , gets all the hair up , its very quite compared to my Dyson and no smells

I guess it depends on the floor surfaces you have and the animals fur ( Gertie fur is very tough but the Cat & Dog can manage it ) but for me bagged is the way to go now

Does anyone use any of the "Henry" range? I have seen that they do a "Harry the hound" pet one now.

The Miele users, do you have upright or cylinder?

Cylinder biggrin.gif

You can get replacament parts for Dyson.. quick from their services dept or really cheap off Ebay.

A quick tips put a deoderiser pad in the outlet filter... put a cut section of flea collar in the bag..... service and clean the insides.

You can get replacament parts for Dyson.. quick from their services dept or really cheap off Ebay.

A quick tips put a deoderiser pad in the outlet filter... put a cut section of flea collar in the bag..... service and clean the insides.

I knocked it over and the whole handle snapped off!!! I don't do things by half, if I am going to break something, I bleddy well break it :rolleyes:

The HenryHound is fantastic. The electrically powered rotating brush in the turbo head means it works just like an upright and is brill for getting hairs off carpets but the rest of the attachments work just like any other cylinder. Great suction and very robust :)

I have bitten the bullet and ordered the Miele cat and dog cylinder. Have had to order it from the catalogue so I can pay it over a couple of months interest free, but they were giving me a £20 voucher as I hadn't ordered for a while.

Kirbys have great suction on open areas - you can actually suck a rug off the floor with them - but they can be a bit cumbersom in terms of changing tools / head, in smaller areas etc.

My sister has a Henry & thinks it's great. Has also had a dyson, as have other family members. They seem a bit hit & miss to me - some swear by it & others at it / say they do lose suction :rolleyes:

I've never had a Miele yet but they are usually amongst the best engineered appliances & well warranted & I'd quite fancy trying one.

Edited by Ian