UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

How Long Does It Take To Re-Home?

Lizzie

I think normally as long as it takes for the adopter to arrange get over there and get the dog - might be as much as a couple weeks I guess, but usually less? I think Dogs Trust require two visits before you can get the dog, so that might take a bit longer I guess?

Oldies have had a few take longer recently - one was an adopter who is travelling long distances where the snow caused the arrangements to crash into the holiday period, and there was another where the dog fell ill and not able to travel, but we've also had situations where the adoption is approved and the adopter is over picking the dog up within hours!

Occasionally we'll have one where the homecheck turns up something where although the home seems good, it's not clear if the home is quite the right match for the dog, so sometimes there might be a bit of followup phonecalls, discussions between fosterer and rescue and so on, which could stretch it out a few more days if you are unlucky about catching people on the phone...

I had a foster that I hung onto for an extra week as she got ill and I wanted her 100% before moving, and Duke the Doop had a few extra weeks with me as the adopter was in the city and November 5th was coming up, so we agreed it would be better for him to move after the firework parties had finished.

Why?

I think normally as long as it takes for the adopter to arrange get over there and get the dog - might be as much as a couple weeks I guess, but usually less? I think Dogs Trust require two visits before you can get the dog, so that might take a bit longer I guess?

Oldies have had a few take longer recently - one was an adopter who is travelling long distances where the snow caused the arrangements to crash into the holiday period, and there was another where the dog fell ill and not able to travel, but we've also had situations where the adoption is approved and the adopter is over picking the dog up within hours!

Occasionally we'll have one where the homecheck turns up something where although the home seems good, it's not clear if the home is quite the right match for the dog, so sometimes there might be a bit of followup phonecalls, discussions between fosterer and rescue and so on, which could stretch it out a few more days if you are unlucky about catching people on the phone...

I had a foster that I hung onto for an extra week as she got ill and I wanted her 100% before moving, and Duke the Doop had a few extra weeks with me as the adopter was in the city and November 5th was coming up, so we agreed it would be better for him to move after the firework parties had finished.

Why?

Does 2 months sound a long time?

Does 2 months sound a long time?

2 months from the rescue confirming the homecheck was OK and the dog reserved? I think that is a long time.

I think most rescues would prefer not to hold a dog for that long. Is there a reason given for the delay? I suppose if this is something that is going on now, then it might be that the adopter wasn't able to get there due to snow, and then there was Christmas, and a lot of rescues prefer not to home over that period... ?

Even 2 months from first contact to adoption would be quite a long time, but I think not *that* out of the way if there were problems finding a homechecker or something annoying like transport problems and holidays... Everyone would rather a dog went home ASAP, but it's amazing how many annoying niggling complications can pop up. angry.gif

That sounds a very long time unless there are exceptional circumstances, ie the dog is having ongoing vet treatment or the adopter is ill. We have sometimes agreed to hold dogs until after an adopter's pre-arranged holiday, but would generally only do that if it meant a delay of a week or so, not months.

I assume you have a particular case in mind, is it the adopter or the rescue who is delaying things?

You see complaints of it taking too long without contact, homecheck etc with some rescues but once arranged & passed (& it seems that's what you mean) I would have thought the sooner the better that the dog was in a proper home in the vast majority of cases - for all concerned.

When I see awaiting collection etc for weeks in some cases I wonder how serious the potential adopters can be sometimes.

In other cases where rescues keep dogs in kennels for an age yet turn down offers of help because they are too far from the vets, only home locally etc as I've occasionally seen "I wonder about the wisdom" of those rescues in doing so

Edited by Ian

the only time we had a dog take that long to go out after homevisit was passed was because the dog picked up campylobacter and it took quite a while to treat and get the all clear from her sample.usual time after home visit is 1 week or less for us, same day in some circumstances.