UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Winter Tyres

cycas

Given the weather I am wondering about biting the bullet and getting some proper winter tyres this year (keeping the others and getting them popped back on in the spring, so not really a huge extra cost, as it should prolong the life of the normal ones).

Has anyone got winter tyres? Are they good?

I don't know what winter tyres are* I asked Mark and he said are the more knobbly grippy tyres

I think its fairly safe to assume he has not got a flipping clue either

Sam

* I am guessing they are tyres for winter it was more the specifics I was asking about....

Edited by Happylittlegreensquirrel

They are tyres made of special rubber that stays squishy at low temperatures. I think they are often a bit more knobbly as well.

They are supposed to give better grip at low temperatures, because the normal tyre rubber gets less flexible below about 7 degrees C and so they don't grip the road so well then. They are supposed to prolong the life of your tyres too as you aren't using them in freezing conditions that they are not designed for (though I bet that doesn't make up for the cost of having them swapped over...

unsure.gif

My sister has got some, she thinks they are great. So, obviously, I want some. rolleyes.gif

Edited by cycas

Please check with your insurance company before fitting winter tyres, a friend of mine got caught out with this last year. Fitting winter tyres is prohibited by some insurers and it could invalidate your policy, others allow winter tyres to be fitted but class it as a 'vehicle modification' which has to be notified, and they may put your premiums up by as much as 20% while the tyres are in place.

Madness wacko.gif

Over here in Guernsey some of the insurance companies are being terrible.Someone i know slid on ice straight into a granite wall, their car is basically classed as a write off. However insurance company say that as police advised driving only if necessary it was the drivers fault for going out and its voided the insurance. Heard of several others having similar problems :ohmy: Thought winter tyres might be better but will check with insurance now :wacko: