UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

John Lewis Advert With A Blue Boy On

Trallwm farm

I understand that people are outraged that a dog is shown outside in a kennel but he doesnt actually live there. One comment mentioned that it overlooked the sea as well.

it seems that people mistake complaining about things that are not real for animal welfare and helping animals.

As the mum of a Blue boy,if I put him on a chain attached to a kennel he would have either eaten through the wood or just dragged it in behind him to get on his sofa. The dog in the advert doesnt look distressed in any way to me. It would have been filmed in summer ready for Christmas so none of it is real. I thought the boy giving his dog a pressie was touching but understood it is simple fantasy.

Its not an advert on dog welfare.

if it WAS meant to be advertising dog welfare then I would be angry but its not.

If all the thousands of people complaining about it put their anger into anti Breed legislation or anti puppy farming or advertised the many dogs in local rescues, THAT would be an awesome affective tool for animal welfare. Over the years Ive had many phone calls on dogs and horses left in sheds so I get that it happens. Owl helped save one Collie which had been abandonded. I just wish people were as quick to help in real situations as they are with ones on telly.

I would actually be more concerned about people buying a deerhound pup on the back of this advert as many could end up in rescue because of it.

I objected. Not because I think the dog in the advert is abused : of course he isn't, he's an actor.

I objected because I think it's a terrible advert that doesn't have the emotional impact that the people designing it were obviously aiming for : I think the emotional impact of the last scene with the dog is entirely counterproductive. As a dog rescue fan it upset me emotionally : as someone with a marketing background it saddened me to see what I'd previously thought of as a strong brand get things so badly wrong.

I didn't complain to the ASA, because I don't think the advert is misleading, nor that the content is seriously offensive. I contacted John Lewis, because I think if an ad misfires that badly to a significant section of its audience, the people behind it ought to know. And also because I could do without an image of a dog chained in a kennel being broadcast at me throughout the festive season.

Actually, many of the people objecting, including me, have put a fair bit of time and money into supporting all sorts of campaigns and working directly to help dogs - and we've achieved a fair bit, actually. Not liking an advert and spending a few minutes complaining about it certainly doesn't mean that the people involved aren't doing anything else!

One reason the ad upset me is that the foster I had last who has just gone home was a big soft lurcher who had in all likelihood spent a fair bit of time tied up in the cold, and the ad made me think of his sad past. I prefer not to do that too often.: I'd rather think of him lolling on the sofa and stealing slippers. So yes, I know it happens, and yes, I'm doing something direct, myself, to help.

Incidentally, some of the people posting 'what's the problem?' type comments are saying things like : the dog is a scottish deerhound they are supposed to live like that. I find THAT a bit worrying : if they wanted to show the kid taking presents to an outdoor dog in the snow, then maybe a pack of huskies would have been a better choice.

However, given that they don't actually SELL dog toys or treats, why on earth they didn't show the little lad bringing the dog inside to lol on a John Lewis sofa or beanbag - they do sell giant waterproof beanbags, which I'd have thought would be ideal product placement - is completely beyond me . Would be a much better ad that way and nobody would have been upset at all. :wacko:

I wondered if the sadness of the ending was just me, so I ran it past family and friends before I did or said anything. I can quote my brother in law, who doesn't have a dog, and doesn't even like dogs that much : he said : "Saddest Xmas ad ever".

However, given that they don't actually SELL dog toys or treats, why on earth they didn't show the little lad bringing the dog inside to lol on a John Lewis sofa or beanbag - they do sell giant waterproof beanbags, which I'd have thought would be ideal product placement - is completely beyond me . Would be a much better ad that way and nobody would have been upset at all. :wacko:

Absolutely. What an advertising opportunity they missed there. I thought the images jarred - the dog alone in the snow, and yet the child is taking it a Christmas present, before wandering back into the warm house. Either the dog is an outdoor dog with no need for home comforts (even Christmas treats) or it's a family pet. Seems John Lewis couldn't decide.

I know the attitudes of some country people, especially towards dogs seen as working types...however, they tend not to live in John Lewis land.

I objected. Not because I think the dog in the advert is abused : of course he isn't, he's an actor.

I objected because I think it's a terrible advert that doesn't have the emotional impact that the people designing it were obviously aiming for : I think the emotional impact of the last scene with the dog is entirely counterproductive. As a dog rescue fan it upset me emotionally : as someone with a marketing background it saddened me to see what I'd previously thought of as a strong brand get things so badly wrong.

I didn't complain to the ASA, because I don't think the advert is misleading, nor that the content is seriously offensive. I contacted John Lewis, because I think if an ad misfires that badly to a significant section of its audience, the people behind it ought to know. And also because I could do without an image of a dog chained in a kennel being broadcast at me throughout the festive season.

Actually, many of the people objecting, including me, have put a fair bit of time and money into supporting all sorts of campaigns and working directly to help dogs - and we've achieved a fair bit, actually. Not liking an advert and spending a few minutes complaining about it certainly doesn't mean that the people involved aren't doing anything else!

One reason the ad upset me is that the foster I had last who has just gone home was a big soft lurcher who had in all likelihood spent a fair bit of time tied up in the cold, and the ad made me think of his sad past. I prefer not to do that too often.: I'd rather think of him lolling on the sofa and stealing slippers. So yes, I know it happens, and yes, I'm doing something direct, myself, to help.

Incidentally, some of the people posting 'what's the problem?' type comments are saying things like : the dog is a scottish deerhound they are supposed to live like that. I find THAT a bit worrying : if they wanted to show the kid taking presents to an outdoor dog in the snow, then maybe a pack of huskies would have been a better choice.

I wondered if the sadness of the ending was just me, so I ran it past family and friends before I did or said anything. I can quote my brother in law, who doesn't have a dog, and doesn't even like dogs that much : he said : "Saddest Xmas ad ever".

I fully accept that there are some people who do a lot for rescue but I still think there are a lot of armchair welfare folk who would jump on any bandwagon.

I remember as a child that C and A had a line of clothers called Palomino when the picture was a piebald and it irked me even then that someone grown up who was supposed to get it right hadnt done their homework. I think in the case of John Lewis they chose the ingredients of a Christmas advert but mixed it wrong creating something that wasnt intended. I think everyones supposed to go ahhh at the poor dog outside and the child giving him a present before going back inside BUT they didnt think it through.

I also dont think it is a "country" thing that means dogs live outside as there are dogs in kennels in towns too.

Who knows it may make someone re think their dog being outside and some dogs are actually happier that way.

I have both and Bojangles would be horrified at the suggestion he is a dog let alone that he would live outside. He is presently comotose in my bed with the electric blanket blazing.

I think the breed of dog was chosen for its appeal given that long dogs seem to be in vogue. Maybe a Northern breed that traditionally is associated with snow may not have attracted so much attention. I think also that as is rightly said John Lewis does not sell dog stuff ,not enough thought was put into how it was shown. I think they thought it was enough that a big hairy smiling blue boy was plenty.

I still think the campaigns could be better put towards saving poundies that wont live to see Christmas or any of the other important causes.

I certainly agree ( as I have a marketing and sales background too ) that they got it wrong and perhaps should address issue as they have eyes on them.

Edited by Trallwm farm

Just to play devils advocate. What about all the poor huskies in centrally heated homes. They must fry.

I hear your pain.

Actually dogs that suffer allergies to carpets as well. I bet theres an advert somewhere of a dog lying on a carpet.

Edited by Trallwm farm

I emailed John lewis but I did feel a bit of a hypocrite about it afterwards :err: My Hollie :wub: used to spend twelve hours a day in my garden :ohmy:!! She had a kennel and it was her favorite place in the whole world. It was her choice to be out there even when I was at home. She was a farm bred collie and I put it down to that :shrug: . She used to come in after tea and sleep in at night but couldn't wait to go out in the mornings :).

My Lucy had a kennel. She did'nt live in it she lived in the house. She did adk to go out some nights though and just wanted to sleep there. It was her choice though and it was usually in summer. Winter she made sure shw was on the bed with me.

I don't think anyone would think it was ok to keep a dog outside im snow off the back of that advert.

I don't think anyone would think it was ok to keep a dog outside im snow off the back of that advert.

I don't think anyone would think it just from seeing the advert, having previously kept their dog in the house.

However, I have seen a fair number of 'oh they are supposed to live like that' comments which I'm frankly a little surprised by. :wacko: I hope they mean 'they are supposed to have lots of space and enjoy spending time outside sometimes' rather than 'they are not supposed to come into the house and like to be outside in subzero temperatures' which is what that sounds like.

If they had to have the dog in a kennel, again, I can think of so many better ways to film that - if the dog had come to greet the little boy then voluntarily trotted happily back to where he was lying, that would be better. But the filming of it really makes it look to me as though we are supposed to think the dog is on a chain out there.

I don't really see why the kennel was used at all. JL don't sell 'country supplies' or dog products: they sell house stuff.

I don't really see why the kennel was used at all. JL don't sell 'country supplies' or dog products: they sell house stuff.

According to Kevin Jordan (who sent me a no doubt bog standard response from JL:

"The inclusion of a dog at the end of our Christmas advert is there to inject a feeling of the importance of pets in a family and show how much they are an integral part of Christmas festivities."

How the feck does leaving a dog outside in the snow whilst the family are inside in the warm demonstrate that the dog is an important part of the family? :huh: To me it shows exactly the opposite, that the dog is excluded.

"The kennel has been lovingly decorated with fairy lights and the boy hanging up the special 'doggy' stocking, is sharing a private Christmas moment with his dog. Many dogs have outside kennels, and that does not mean, nor do we intend to imply, that they don't spend most of their time in the house. "

Oh well that's alright then :rolleyes:

I don't think anyone would think it just from seeing the advert, having previously kept their dog in the house.

However, I have seen a fair number of 'oh they are supposed to live like that' comments which I'm frankly a little surprised by. :wacko: I hope they mean 'they are supposed to have lots of space and enjoy spending time outside sometimes' rather than 'they are not supposed to come into the house and like to be outside in subzero temperatures' which is what that sounds like.

If they had to have the dog in a kennel, again, I can think of so many better ways to film that - if the dog had come to greet the little boy then voluntarily trotted happily back to where he was lying, that would be better. But the filming of it really makes it look to me as though we are supposed to think the dog is on a chain out there.

It was used as a simple backdrop to the Christmas stocking, which of course they do sell. Im sure had they decided to show the boy delivering a lovely stocking to a sibling in a wendy house then it would have been done in equal innocence.

Im not sure there would have been such an deluge of hate campaigns against what is probably a bewildered young trainee who without any malice set up an advert with an incidental snow and dog scene.

There are still rediculous comments being made on these campaign sites justifying complaints. "The dog didnt try to follow the boy back into the house" Of course he didnt,he doesnt have a relationship with the dog because the dog is ACTING . People dont get that the dog doesnt actually live there.Its not a real family,its an advert and Rannoch the dog is probably back on his sofa now in his real house by now.

I fully accept that a lot of people in rescue signed petitions but there is a huge wave of people who just sign petitions and keep sending out barbaric films on horrific things that have long since died. All the time people focus on animals that died five years ago for example they are missing chances to help animals that could be saved today.

As a sanctuary I get asked to join all sorts of groups and see all sorts of horrific things. As a sanctuary there is only so much of me left to go round and choose to focus on real situations. Like a very sick horse that the owner wants gone or the phone call Ive just had of an abandoned mare and foal on a main road yet again. These things rate far above Rannochs pretend kennel pointing out to France. Trust me Rannoch is a lucky boy because he has a home. The advert isnt real and sadly people think that by supporting a campaign against JL they have achieved some great victory for animal welfare. They havent. They have simply satisfied a need to feel good and in that respect the JL advert has done its job,

They have probably ruined Rannochs and the young ad employees career and sadly not done anything real to save a life today.

The advert isnt real and sadly people think that by supporting a campaign against JL they have achieved some great victory for animal welfare.

Hitting 'like' takes seconds, posting a comment takes minutes. I can see no evidence at all that someone taking a few minutes out of the day to chat with their friends on facebook about an advert that they dislike in any way detracts from any other rescue activity, just as it would not detract from their rescue activity if they were discussing X factor or posting pictures of their dogs or playing an online game.

I don't get this attitude that there are 'real rescuers' and 'armchair rescuers'. So far as I can see, few rescues would survive with just the volunteers who do the actual animal contact, without a huge cushion of people who donate, fundraise, do accounts or admin, do publicity, adopt one animal, put up a poster, buy stuff in online auctions, tell a friend, sell an item on Ebay with 15% to a charity...

Of course old information and odd ideas get circulated. That doesn't mean that the people involved aren't genuine and won't volunteer in emergency situations if called upon, and that should be respected.

I find it very hard to believe that the JL Xmas ad was set up, specified, created and booked by some junior member of staff without any senior oversight. Nor do I think anyone is likely to lose their job as a result. These things happen : that's why PR departments do emergency planning.

Hitting 'like' takes seconds, posting a comment takes minutes. I can see no evidence at all that someone taking a few minutes out of the day to chat with their friends on facebook about an advert that they dislike in any way detracts from any other rescue activity, just as it would not detract from their rescue activity if they were discussing X factor or posting pictures of their dogs or playing an online game.

I don't get this attitude that there are 'real rescuers' and 'armchair rescuers'. So far as I can see, few rescues would survive with just the volunteers who do the actual animal contact, without a huge cushion of people who donate, fundraise, do accounts or admin, do publicity, adopt one animal, put up a poster, buy stuff in online auctions, tell a friend, sell an item on Ebay with 15% to a charity...

Of course old information and odd ideas get circulated. That doesn't mean that the people involved aren't genuine and won't volunteer in emergency situations if called upon, and that should be respected.

I find it very hard to believe that the JL Xmas ad was set up, specified, created and booked by some junior member of staff without any senior oversight. Nor do I think anyone is likely to lose their job as a result. These things happen : that's why PR departments do emergency planning.

At no point have I suggested that anyone in or volunteering in rescue is wrong to have an opinion or is lacking in any way for talking on face book.

Thats your perception.

Im talking about those people whose only involvement in rescue is raging about an advert.Its a similar thing as seen on websites where hate is whipped up by people It takes seconds to do something for a real animal but not as many will as get whipped up into a frenzy over an advert or cause just because they feel they are somehow doing something amazingly good. I dont see how torturing a misguided human helps as it borders on bullying

Im sure they have a whole dept involved in the making of the advert but I still think it was born out of a desire to show snow and dog rather than a statement on animal welfare.They may be stupid or ignorant but they are not animal torturers of which many real ones exist.

Andrew Gray who was found responsible for the Amershan horse tragedy has defied the courts and is involved in a "rescue" that also advertises as transport and horse slaughter.

Ive had a few emails on it but no one is willing to go toe to toe to stop an ongoing abuse of horses. Yet people all jump in to press a petition button for a situation that isnt real

Edited by Trallwm farm