UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Antlers

cycas

On a US forum I saw elk antlers recommended as a particularly appealing dog chew.

I've never seen these for sale in the UK, but I have occasionally seen roe and red deer antlers or antler sections sold for craft working. I wondered if anyone had ever bought (or found!) antler sections and used them as a chew?

They are shed every year by all the male deer - so there must be a fair number of them about somewhere!

The US peeps seem to think they are the bees knees, but I'm not sure if the composition of British deer antlers would be as tasty as Elk! wacko.gif

Az is a right little monster for roe deer, so I'm sure he would like them if they retain the smell, but I don' t know if they do. unsure.gif

Drattitude! I've just realised I put this in Homes offered - should have been in Doggy Chat! Could someone move it...?laugh.gif

Edited by cycas

Friend of mine in the USA swears by these as they don't seem to have the risks of rawhide and pigs ears and don't even upset the tummy of one of her older greys which is very food sensitive. I've never seen them over here (well everything is late getting way over here, of course!!) but I'd love to give them a try for mine.

I use them as chews, they are very good too, they last ages as it's impossible for the dog to get lumps off and they have to sort of grate them, I have Roe deer ones. I get mine when I go to the Scone Game Fair, the folk who do stick making have huge baskets of them for a quid each, you can get a whole antler or just a section, I also get buffalo horn which is just as popular with the dogs and just as long lasting.

not many elk in Devon :laugh:

have fed mine deer bones and got no probs with them and the dogs said they were nice :biggrin:

we've got a big forest up the road from us but never see any antlers hanging around, plenty of deer tho' from roe to muntjacs :wink:

ooops seems i have a stutter :rolleyes:

can someone take duplicate off please? :wink:

I've been looking for these too. This company is about to launch the first UK antler dog chews. www.naturaldogstore.co.uk They're called Stagbars. They will be on sale before for Christmas so I'm told so if you sign up to the facebook page here, they'll tell us when we can place an order. http://www.facebook....100445776692485

Edited by runlikethewind

It's got the prices on the facebook link. They look ok. I suppose you have to compare the price to a nylabone - about the same price I guess but much better nutrionally I think. I wouldn't personally buy antler sold for crafts - you have no idea where it's come from, maybe even from abroad, or how old it is, or if it came off someone's wall even!

• 2 weeks later...