UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

100 Dogs!

cycas

I'd agree that you can't give 100 dogs your full attention & they appear to have been farm dogs left to run free, hence perhaps the noise?

Nevertheless it seems a little questionable / heavy handed to me. She does live on farm & if you choose to be neighbours with a farm you should surely expect animal noises. Noise complaints is the only reason the dogs have been removed & there is no mention of anything having been considered to reduce noise effects.

How well these dogs adapt to their new homes remains to be seen. Reports linked off that one suggest 14 is an increase - they had previously said she could keep 6 (though I would have thought both could still create plenty of noise) & that all dogs were in good condition - the police office specifically stating there is no suggestion of cruelty whatsoever.

Edited by Ian

Some of the people interviewed on the local news suggested that the dogs were not entirely contained on her own land and there was some allegations of sheep chasing, which always goes down like a lead balloon in these parts.

But the noise nuisance was what she was actually charged with - there was an interview on local news with a neighbour who is a farmer himself, who said that although he had not himself put in a complaint, it is hard to describe just how loud it is when 100 dogs bark all together.

Although there have been no cruelty charges, I do wonder if there was *that* much barking if the dogs were really happy and stress free. Or perhaps that's just because mine don't bark much.laugh.gif

I wonder where they all came from? Apparently Dogs Trust is going to rehome the ones she can't keep: I imagine they weren't too delighted that she appeared on the local news saying that none of the dogs could walk on a lead or be housed with children!

from an earlier reports

"During one visit to assess the noise levels, a council officer reported that the dogs could be heard about 2km (1.2 miles) away. "

"Ms Curtis told the court she has now started to reduce the number of animals at the property.

She could "realistically" cope with about 30 and a local animal charity was helping her to rehome some of the dogs. "

"Since the dogs were seized, six puppies have died as a result of illness. Vets continue to monitor the health of the remaining animals."

If that was anything infectious like parvo and they wandered off her land it could cause a real risk to other dogs in the neighbourhood. I dare say it would be very hard to dog proof every fence on a farm but I must admit that if I was out walking my dogs and a large pack of barking dogs appeared i think I would be scared witless and fear for my dogs safety. x

If that was anything infectious like parvo and they wandered off her land it could cause a real risk to other dogs in the neighbourhood. I dare say it would be very hard to dog proof every fence on a farm but I must admit that if I was out walking my dogs and a large pack of barking dogs appeared i think I would be scared witless and fear for my dogs safety. x

To be fair though there is no evidence the dogs were ill when taken from her. It may be that they were or alternatively it may be that when the police kennelled them they then picked up an illness from some other dog.

I'd agree that she shouldn't have allowed the dogs to roam loose off her land (if she did indeed do so) but if it was people walking across her land (eg perhaps on a right of way) then what?

I'd agree that she shouldn't have allowed the dogs to roam loose off her land (if she did indeed do so) but if it was people walking across her land (eg perhaps on a right of way) then what?

I think the legislation covering control of dogs in 'public places' would apply to a public footpath.

I agree that a large pack of unsupervised dogs on a public footpath would be pretty daunting. Many of them were not neutered, and I believe one of the ones she still has is pregnant! ohmy.gif