UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Is The Site Down?

cycas

Yes it is. I reported it down at 1:30 and was told they were working on it. I rang again at 3pm, and at 4pm, and at each time was given what sounded like a hopeful progress report.

The server admin swore blind to me at 4:30pm that they'd tried to get the whole thing to reboot and were now restoring it from a backup and everything would definitely be back within two hours absolute tops: I rang back at 7pm to be told nothing had been put on record and they would have to start over : I made a fuss and *finally* got a call from a real engineer at 8pm claiming that nobody had told him anything about restoring anything from any backup previously, and whoops.

To say I am fuming would be the understatement of the decade. The engineer says that he was supposed to clock off at 7:30 but will work late because this is a screwup at their end. Once again, I am relying on one individual rather than what SHOULD be systems to stop this happening. I am just hoping it's all back by the morning or people are going to be screaming at me.

I think the lesson of this is that actually, being a nice polite and considerate customer doesn't pay off. Only when I started to get nasty with them did I actually get someone off their fat arse, and was allowed to speak direct to someone who had the permissions to get things sorted. glare.gif

Don't buy anything from Webfusion... rolleyes.gif

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And the latest is that our hero (I hope) Billy the Engineer is waiting while endless mountains of data are copied from the backups, and has ordered a pizza... laugh.gif

Wish I'd given the server a spring clean this year, I'm sure that half the stuff backed up is old stuff but now all of it will have to be copied... rolleyes.gif

Everything is now restored and working properly, but some people may not yet be able to see the site.

I was tempted to suggest that this was because the site can now detect who is Norty and who is Nice, as I have spent the whole day fixing stuff and explaining it to woeful people and am now a bit shellshocked, but the sad truth is that it's entirely random. laugh.gif

If you can't see it now, then give it a bit longer, it is back and will be with you eventually.