UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Lung Cancer

Brunzara

Zara has just had her spleen removed as she had a tumour on it. It has been sent away for testing but she has something in her lung which is more than likely a secondary.

My other dog Bruno had a tumour and had his spleen removed last year on the 23rd March (Zara's was on the 24th March this year), he only lived another few weeks and was put to sleep on the 19th April (it was a very aggressive form of cancer).

I can't believe that this is happening to me again, I know what to expect with regards to if the abdomen area flares up again but I don't know what to expect with regards to the lungs.

She is obviously at the moment recovering from the op. but before that she was enjoying life, she loves her walks and would be out 24/7 if she could and is eating well. Occasionaly she coughs.

These were taken about a week ago (about 2 weeks after diagnosis)

ZaraPlay2.jpg

ZaraPlay1.jpg

I am struggling to cope with this constant worry (Bruno's death is still very raw) and just thought that it might help a little if I knew what to expect, without constantly watching for things.

Guest chilover

One of my dogs died because of this, approximately 6 months after diagnosis. She rarely coughed, wheezed sometimes, but gradually her breathing became more and more laboured, to the point that it was time to let her go.

We treated her with prednisolone and it did relieve the symptoms for some time. Obviously steroids aren't drugs to use willy nilly, but in a case like this...

Now, I would also have a chat with a homeopathic vet about the care options...but that is me.

The Bach Flower Remedies may help Zara to cope with her changing condition and you too. Just a thought.

Hope Zara stays well for as long as possible. It's a difficult time :(

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you everybody :)

There is still something going on in her lungs so we are not out of the woods yet but I was so sure that it was going to be a secondary from her spleen.

We can assume that as her spleen was free from the dreaded C that this in her lung is something else. It seems that cancer in the lungs is quite rare unless secondary from a tumour elsewhere.............phew.

We are going to see how she goes on after this course of anti-biotics that she finishes tomorrow.

Fingers crossed!

Zara collapsed in the field last night :(

The vet still thinks she has lung cancer. I don't understand though how she can just suddenly collapse like that without any previous breathing difficulties. It doesn't seem consistent with other peoples experiences of lung cancer in their dogs :unsure:

After collapsing (she didn't lose conciousness) she was up again within 5 minutes and we walked (although slowly) the rest of the way home. When we got in from the vets (who said that her gums were slightly blue but that basically there is not much we can do), she ate her tea and then was sick. After that she was fine.........wanting to play and back to normal.

This not knowing what is wrong is killing me :mecry: