UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Website Issues Today (Friday)

cycas

Site went down at about 8:45am and isn't back yet. Apparently there are connectivity issues with that whole area of the datacentre, which frankly is a bit poor given that the damn server last went down only in Jan.

They swear there is an engineer there now, probably furiously trying to work out what has got unplugged (cleaners and their vaccuums, eh? :rolleyes: )

I was planning to move the whole thing to a new server (or probably cloud hosting rather than another dedicated server) but will be getting onto this more urgently as soon as it comes back.

• 2 weeks later...

... and again tonight, again data centre issues affecting all FreeBSD and Ubuntu servers. Not sure if it's an issue specific to the operating system or just that part of the data centre.

Will be moving the site to a new datacentre as soon as I can find a host that will definitely offer better reliability.

Godaddy's servers are in the USA, and we can't host stuff in the USA because it would (probably) break EU data protection rules to be storing some of the data that we record, because we have the personal data of dog owners in our database. Obviously nothing very sensitive, but not public either, and you aren't supposed to export data without jumping through hoops.... There are also search engine and performance issues with hosting on US servers that are probably more significant for the Oldies site than the Dogstar one.

You are also using a standard Wordpress install, which we aren't: ours is fairly heavily modded, and of course the volume is considerable as well.

Our downtime does actually still average at very close to 100% - it's just that with about 15,000 unique visits a month just on that one site, I'm very conscious that there really is no time when there aren't quite a lot of people looking at it, and all the committee email is affected if it goes down, and people do expect email to work like a toaster nowadays...

I'm looking at cloud hosting with VPS.net, they have a London datacentre, and cloud would give us just that bit more redundancy from hardware failure. Though that wouldn't protect us from what happened in the last outage, cos that was a routing issue, which can happen anywhere...

Probably it will still go down from time to time, cos that's life. I was so reassured that Demon managed to basically turn off most of their network the other day for 24 hours... laugh.gif