UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Gentle Vicky - 16 Yr Old Yorkie X Jrt

Fee

Vicky_main1.jpg

Vicky is a 16 year old Yorkie x Jack Russell Terrier girl. She was rescued by a kind person who saw her stranded on a busy roundabout in heavy traffic. Sadly she wasn't claimed by anyone so is now in the care of an Oldies Club foster home in Beccles, Suffolk, waiting to be offered a permanent home. Her foster carer describes her as sweet and gentle, but inquisitive and adventurous too! She may be an elderly girl, but we think she'll make a super little companion for some lucky person.

Settled in quickly: It took Vicky a few days to feel confident in her foster home and it wasn't long before she was seeking some affection and enjoying tummy rubs from her foster family.

Good little house dog: Vicky is quite happy being left at home for a few hours, but if she feels she needs the toilet she doesn't always wait for you to get back. She will always use the floor close to the back door though, so her foster family put newspaper down and she uses that if she needs to go.

Vicky3.jpg

Loves being out and about: Vicky loves going for a walk, especially if she can have lots of sniffs along the way. She will happily stroll along or have a nice little trot and she tends to wander about the pavement to make sure she doesn't miss any interesting smells! Vicky hasn't been left off the lead whilst in foster care, but she does come when called from the garden. She loves travelling in the car, but because of her inquisitive nature she likes to see what's going on and can take a while to settle.

Good with other dogs: Vicky gets on very well with the other two dogs in her family and she's been happy to meet others out and about. She was very nervous of a visiting puppy, but preferred to keep away rather than show any aggression. She will warn other dogs off if she thinks they're going to take her food, but she doesn't mind her foster mum taking it. She should be okay living with another calm and gentle dog in her new home.

Vicky2.jpg

Good with cats: Vicky lives with a cat in her current foster home and tends to ignore her unless she moves very quickly. Vicky will then be tempted to chase, but only for a few strides and she loses interest! Her foster family think she would be okay living with a cat in her new home.

Good with children: Vicky has met a number of children whilst in foster care, from the ages of 18 months and upwards. She's always been very friendly and curious, but not overly bothered by them. She would probably be fine living with children, but because of her age and the fact that she has poor eyesight, they would need to be older and respectful.

Vicky1.jpg

Vicky's likes: Vicky's favourite pastime has to be looking for food so any new owner will need to keep all bins out of reach. She enjoys having a potter about in the garden and thinks it's great when the back door is left open so she can wander in and out at her leisure.

Vicky's dislikes: Vicky is sometimes frightened when another dog barks and she will go to her foster mum for protection. She can also be startled occasionally if you reach down to stroke her when she's not expecting it. She'll move away, but soon comes back when she realises it's all okay. She wasn't too keen on being picked up when she first arrived, but her foster mum says she's getting used to this now and even enjoys having a cuddle.

Vicky's perfect home: Due to her poor eyesight and hearing, Vicky would be happiest in a quiet and calm home with someone who is around most of the time to give her regular toilet breaks. She likes to spend most of her day just pottering around and watching what's going on, usually hoping to find some tasty food scraps! Otherwise she likes to nap. She loves her walks too, so a reasonably active family would be nice so she could get out for regular, but gentle walks.

Vicky6.jpg

A little extra from her foster family: Vicky is not an overly affectionate dog, but she does like to get up on the sofa and lie next to you. She has started getting up and sitting on my lap and enjoys being stroked for a little while, but is then off exploring again. Vicky's new owners will need to be patient and allow her to come to them in her own time. I love this little girl and everytime she comes to me or accepts my approach I feel we have moved another step forward in making her life a happy one.

Vicky's health notes: Vicky is neutered and had her first vaccination on 24/3/10. She is flea and worm treated and will be microchipped before being rehomed. Vicky has poor eyesight and some loss of hearing and she also has a heart murmur, but this doesn't seem to bother her and the vet has advised that she doesn't need medication. Her teeth aren't in good condition, but because of her age the vet has advised against any work requiring an anaesthetic.

——————

This wonderful little lady will make a great companion for someone, so if you'd like to find out more about her, please refer to our Adoption Procedures for information about the adoption process. You can then contact an Oldies Club rehoming co-ordinator as follows:

Email: [email protected]

Telephone: 0844 586 8656

Vicky can be rehomed anywhere in the UK, subject to a satisfactory home visit, but note that you will be required to travel to the foster home to meet her.

——————

I knew I shouldn't have looked, she is my type of dog but having lost Gracie and Joe recently I couldn't cope with another at the moment and at 16 years old, I may, she could be another Gracie, a gereactric teenage hooligan and live to at least 17.5 years old. :laugh:

Aaw bless her, she looks a little sweetheart and in decent health for her age to me. What a shame no one came looking for her though sad.gif

MrsMopp I'm sorry for your losses. It always been obvious to me how much you love your dogs.

She is in remarkably good nick for her age. We know her age from an existing chip but owner untraceable, and probably she changed hands without details being updated. She was emaciated and filthy when she was picked up but put on weight very quickly once we hit on the right diet for her. Excellent little dog, it wouldn't surprise me at all if she reaches 20. She is a real character, scuttles around like a jet-propelled beetle, very determined and gets her nose into everything :laugh:

• 1 month later...