UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Coming Into Season?

billydog

Wondered if anyone could help as I've only ever had boys and speyed girls!

I'm currently looking after aunt's 5 1/2 month old puppy - probably lab x jack russell.

They also have 2 older dogs, and I have 2 dogs, all neutered.

Her 'brothers' and my older dog are taking no undue notice of her, but my Finn who is 3 and neutered at 1, is very interested in her. He's following her round lots with his nose up her bits, has been a bit drooly and just air humped behind her! He's never done anything like this and never shown any interest in any other girls.

Obviously he can't do anything about it, but I'm a bit worried it may be an indication that she is coming into season - she seems very young though. She's booked for a spey in a couple of weeks when her owners retun. She doesn't seem to have swollen bits, and there are no other signs from her.

Could she be coming into season so young, and if she is, what should I look for?

Thanks flowers.gif

Wondered if anyone could help as I've only ever had boys and speyed girls!

I'm currently looking after aunt's 5 1/2 month old puppy - probably lab x jack russell.

They also have 2 older dogs, and I have 2 dogs, all neutered.

Her 'brothers' and my older dog are taking no undue notice of her, but my Finn who is 3 and neutered at 1, is very interested in her. He's following her round lots with his nose up her bits, has been a bit drooly and just air humped behind her! He's never done anything like this and never shown any interest in any other girls.

Obviously he can't do anything about it, but I'm a bit worried it may be an indication that she is coming into season - she seems very young though. She's booked for a spey in a couple of weeks when her owners retun. She doesn't seem to have swollen bits, and there are no other signs from her.

Could she be coming into season so young, and if she is, what should I look for?

Thanks flowers.gif

Sometimes this happens if the anal glands are smelling.

Also, humping is not always sexual. It can be excitement or trying to 'dominate'.

My neutered dog used to do that to my neutered bitch.

Sometimes this happens if the anal glands are smelling.

Also, humping is not always sexual. It can be excitement or trying to 'dominate'.

My neutered dog used to do that to my neutered bitch.

Thanks - if it had been my other dog I'd have been more inclined to this explaination, but Finn is such a sweetie he doesn't 'do' dominance and wasn't particularly excited. He also had a slightly confused expression as if he didn't really know what he was doing!

Thanks for the other info on seasons. The other boys have been interested in sniffing and licking the carpet where she has been sitting.

Think I'll be keeping a very close eye on her, but from what I've read I'll have good warning if she is coming into season! Hoping however I'm just being overly cautious!