UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

I Need A New Vehicle

Mrs B

I need some suggestions for a multi purpose vehicle (by usage, not necessarily by name!) and where better could I ask than here!

I have run a Peugeot 307 Style HDi (3 door hatchback) for 8 years however it is becoming increasingly unreliable, the latest last night when I spent a very interesting 3 hours on the side of the busiest road in Lincoln in the company of Tigger and Daisy, while I waited for the vehicle assistance folks to turn up not impressed, but thats another story. Did meet a nice PC who has a rescue staffie/collie cross mind.

Tigger and Daisy currently travel very happily on the back seat of the car, in seatbelt harnesses, leaving the boot free for me to carry (and keep clean for) food/baking.

We have been thinking for a while that it would be good to get something better for the dogs, but my thinking is hampered by not really knowing what is out there, and having to have a vehicle where I can say that the food is kept separate from dogs.

The majority of journeys I make on my own, sometimes I have a passenger, occasionally this is even Mr B (!), so selfishly I dont have to have a vehicle capable of carrying more than one passenger.

Journeys to and from work most of the time; to and from dog days training, walks and the like (sometimes at training the dogs stay in the vehicle some of the time if we are working different combinations of dogs), and to events where I am either catering or carrying baking to, when I tend to fill the boot with cool bags, boxes of equipment, crockery, cutlery …….. so the boot of the current car is filled to capacity, and occasionally for we actually go away, which tend to be self catering, so every crevice of the car is filled with the dogs luggage, and we find a small corner to put the human packing in!

Diesel preferred.

Cant decide whether I want a vehicle I can put fixed crates in or not depends if that would limit me too much for the other things I want the vehicle for.

I would kind of prefer a vehicle the dogs can see out of easily when we are stopped Tigger particularly likes to look out around him and given their deafness I would prefer that the dogs have the ability to see (is that sad of me?)

I dont mind looking at vans as long as I have the means to carry food separately to dogs and the dogs can see out!

But maybe folks have some car suggestions too.

Can anyone help by making a few suggestions?

Edited by Mrs B

I LOVE my Volkswagen Transporter van! It's a 'proper' van, i.e. not car-derived (sorry, car-derived van owners!) and has LOADS of space! I've had a false floor put in, so I actually have nearly the whole floor space, with a height of plm 20 inches, for luggage, enough to pack our camping trip supplies and then some. The raised floor also has the advantage that the guys can look out the windows. Kiera particularly likes to stand behind my seat and look out over my shoulder, bless her :wub: I haven't got crates, I've attached climbing rope to a couple of rings that were already screwed into the floor of the van and attached karabiners to those. The guys wear their harnesses and are clipped in with the karabiners - dead good! When we camp I simply roll out a sleeping bag in the back with the guys and that is us sorted, although I have bought them a freestanding awning as well, just so as to have a bit more space for us and for Sparks to feel a bit safer.

If I had to buy a car right at this very moment (and couldn't have a van) I would def look at a Subaru Legacy - normal size estate which actually is a 4WD! :) Have fun car shopping! :flowers:

I have a Citroen Berlingo van with a double barjo van crate in the back - at the back of the load floor with the doors opening backwards. Its tied down with heavy duty webbing straps so can be removed if necessary. Between the crates and the seats is a space about 2 foot by the width of the van - although in the current system dog hair does accumulate there. Dogs can see out of the back windows - if you had the Berlingo 'car' there would be side windows as well.

There is room above the crates to fit boxes on top for food - wouldn't be difficult to make.

Any of the small(but not tiny ones) panel vans would be similar. Ford Connect is a nicer drive, apparently, or there's an auto version of the diesel VW caddy if you are feeling lazy.

To be honest there's little difference in cost nowadays between a van and a car, so if they are happy on the back seat you could consider any estate or hatchback. I'm a big Ford fan, good value, cheap to maintain, etc etc.

I have a Honda CR-V which is brilliant for the dogs because not only is the boot space large, but the back seats fold right forward against the front seats to enlarge the space (you can see one of the seats folded forward in the pics). It's high up so the dogs can see out to their hearts content, and the bottom part of the boot is even a picnic table. Also had no problems getting about with it recently when we had tons of snow, it performed like a dream.

I luffs my Henry Honda (as modelled by Bumpy Max) wub.gif

henryhonda1.jpg

maxinhenry.jpg

maxinhenry-1.jpg