UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Which Sewing Machine Please For A Novice?

suzeanna

I've been looking at the skirts coming into the shops for summer, and was horrified at the price...I'm sure it would be cheaper to make my own, problem is, the last time I did any sewing was at school,** years ago! :laugh: Can anyone recommend a reliable make of sewing machine? I don't want a programmable one which can sing dance and make the tea, just something that will do basic stitches, buttonholes (do machines do buttonholes?) etc.

I have very very limited experience of sewing machines, but for reliability you won't go far wrong with the good old Singer, I got mine from a machine repair shop, they also sold re-conditioned second hand one's, I think mine cost about £50 and is very simple. It does have a buttonhole function, but I'm buggered if I know how to use it unsure.giflaugh.gif

It really depends how much you are going to use it. Even a cheap modern machine from Lidl at around £40 will have all the stitches you will need as a beginner. But it won't be quite as nice to use as the expensive ones, and probably not quite as long lived. They are all made in China nowadays anyway, even the ones with long established names, so its difficult to work out which are the best.

Perfectly good basic machines turn up on Freecycle regularly.

I got one of the Lidl ones a couple of months ago. It is exactly the same looking machine as the Singer one that they were selling for £10 more and mine has more stitch options.

Many years ago I had a Jones one but this one is far better- much quieter and smoother running.

Sometimes sewing machines turn up in charity shops.

Thanks for the suggestions...I've looked on the local Freecycle but no joy, but I did see some on Dunelm Mill's website http://www.dunelm-mill.com do either of the cheap ones look ok, or are they too small?

I think the two little ones will be too light to be much use. My son's partner bought a small one like those and she said it was useless- too small.

I think Merledogs bought a sewing machine from Dunelm Mill a while ago.