UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

A Year Ago Today.....

Laura_E

.......Tess arrived!

Fiona contacted me before christmas to see if I could take a Border Collie cross- described by her previous owners as a subdued old lady.

So on the 3rd January 2009 I had just taken the decorations down and was eagerly anticipating the arrival of my new foster dog. I remember I was sorting out the recycling when I saw a lady walking down the road with a small hyper dog. This lady turned out to be Cher and the small hyper dog turned out to be my subdued Border Collie X foster- well you can't get everything right!

After the initial surprise, I took Tess straight out for a walk and couldn't believe how much energy she had (particularly as she was meant to be subdued!). Having never been around small dogs before, I was pleasantly surprised that Tess was able to prove me wrong on the pre-conceived ideas that I had about small dogs. She wasn't aggressive, she wasn't yappy and she wasn't spoilt.

After a week of assessments I finally got around to completing a write-up for the website and sent it off to Fiona. So I was amazed when I received an email back 3 hours later to say that she had already been reserved! ohmy.gif

Initially I thought it was great news, as the canine/feline relations hadn't been great up to this stage. But after a while I started to feel quite sad about the thought of her leaving. I relayed this to Fiona and she was VERY patient with me and told me to take some time to think things through. After lots of consideration I finally re-contacted Fiona to let her know that I wanted to join the failed fosterers club!!

So here we are a year later, and as cheesy as it sounds, I really couldn't imagine life without my lovely girl. We still can't figure out what she is crossed with, but we are pretty sure that it isn't a Border Collie!!!

Thank you to Fiona and all of the OC committee for persevering and giving me the (almost) perfect dog! flowers.gif

Tess2.jpg

Nothing like a story with a happy ending to brighten up the day! So glad it all worked out just perfectly for you and I'll second your comments about Fiona's patience with fosterers considering failure. We were in just the same position with our sweet lurcher girl Sally and Fiona was so good about 'holding off' the prospective new owner whilst we decided for sure that we wanted to become failures!

Blimey, a year already - I can't believe it's been that long. Happy gotcha day Tess! woof.gif

I'm a terrible foster co-ordinator, having failed one or twice* myself I know exactly what it's like making that decision, but all credit to you Laura for your hard work bringing Tess around to living happily with the cats, I know it wasn't easy at first flowers.gif

*Ok, three times blush02.gif