UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Smug Types Who Buy You A Goat For Christmas

When Barry and I got married we had two houses going into one and didnt need anything really so we asked that those who wanted to spend money on us to donate to our local hospic where my mum was due to go before she sadly passed, there was a few that were not very happy with that but it was a place that was close to our hearts and I felt that they needed it more than us

I don't think anyone every has any right to be given a gift so if someone gives to a charity on my behalf even if its not one of my personal charities then to me whats lovely is they were chartable. They thought about someone else's needs or a problem, and they gave there money to answer that cry for help

Completely agree Sam. I've never heard of VI and after this have little interest in what else she has to say.

I regularly buy my family these types of presents and the feedback I get - including from neices and nephews - is always positive. I do try and match up the gift with something each person would like & approve of.

I've done this ever since I spent Christmas with my 3 nieces and was absolutely staggered in the sea of presents under (around, not even remotely close too...) the tree. Still can't get that image out of my head and I am proud of my neices and nephews for taking as much interest in the charity gifts as the rest of their presents. Says a lot that when asked for present ideas for the kids, my siblings struggle to come up with ideas :rolleyes:

Did come close of breaking one of my nephews hearts one year though when I bought him 3 months sponsorship of an old dog at some dog's home or another, and he thought that meant the dog was coming to stay with him for 3 months...:wub:

Did come close of breaking one of my nephews hearts one year though when I bought him 3 months sponsorship of an old dog at some dog's home or another, and he thought that meant the dog was coming to stay with him for 3 months...:wub:

Perhaps it's the mutual interest / personal involvement which is the important bit? In the worst presents thread for instance I've commented on an anonymous (for all I lnow none existant) tree sponsored in my name :mellow: - Had it said it been a dog / The Dogs Trust for example then despite the fact I'd still never meet the dog I'd probably have been :biggrin:

I think the article is a load of twaddle, but I can see her point in one respect - I wouldn't want money being given in my name to certain charities which I wouldn't support.

Far better IMO to give the recipient the choice of charity and then make a donation to that on their behalf.

Edited by merledogs

• 2 weeks later...

I think the article is a load of twaddle, but I can see her point in one respect - I wouldn't want money being given in my name to certain charities which I wouldn't support.

Far better IMO to give the recipient the choice of charity and then make a donation to that on their behalf.

I agree with you Alex.

I would be very upset if someone gave money in my name to any charity that did experiments on animals but most people who know me would know that and hopefully would not do so.

I have given donations as gits but have always made sure that the person 'giving' would like the charity I have given to.

I have always given gifts that I know would be appreciated - it just takes a little 'listening' to work out what is acceptable to people and to give something that would be against what they woulddo themselves is selfish inho.

Totally agree with Alex and Kathy. Thos who know me well, know that I am very finnicky about what charities I give to - which pretty much excludes any 'human' charities, and I'd be very upset if anyone would give on my behalf to charities that I don't support. Having said that, I would also refuse to give to, say, Cancer Research UK, if that was on someone else's list, because they spend millions a year on animal research. I don't support that, be it in my own or someone else's name wih my money. Before anyone jumps on me tho, I have donated to the DR Hadwen Trust, on behalf of someone who was doing a 'race for life'. The Dr Hadwen Trust finances alternatives to animal experiments. That I can live with, easily :flowers:

Totally agree with Alex and Kathy. Thos who know me well, know that I am very finnicky about what charities I give to - which pretty much excludes any 'human' charities, and I'd be very upset if anyone would give on my behalf to charities that I don't support. Having said that, I would also refuse to give to, say, Cancer Research UK, if that was on someone else's list, because they spend millions a year on animal research. I don't support that, be it in my own or someone else's name wih my money. Before anyone jumps on me tho, I have donated to the DR Hadwen Trust, on behalf of someone who was doing a 'race for life'. The Dr Hadwen Trust finances alternatives to animal experiments. That I can live with, easily flowers.gif

Dr Hadwen Trust is a fav of mine. My cousin once donated to the 'abolition of visisection' in my name and it was the best gift I could have asked for.