UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

What Size Is Your Dog?

kirisox

What size is your dog (in agility terms!)?  

27 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I can't really reply in the poll but we have 2 Mediums (measured - obviously, since we compete) and 3 Large that were competing before 1.1.06, so didn't need to be measured.

One of the Mediums was measured at a UKA show last week and was supposed to be 15.75 ins (actually standing on his toes reaching up for a treat - not very accurate) wheres he used to be easily a KC Mini, so under 15ins.

Pam

Dudley was measured from mini to medium.(At UKA he was measured as 14.58") This has made no difference to him, I thought it would as he always went under midi height jumps but as they have been lowered I don't think he even notices and thats on indoor school surfaces on grass I'm sure he'll notice even less.

Suzi was measured as a small. This is her first season so I'll have to wait and see how she does.

Edited by Paula

Dudley was measured from mini to medium.(At UKA he was measured as 14.58") This has made no difference to him, I thought it would as he always went under midi height jumps but as they have been lowered I don't think he even notices and thats on indoor school surfaces on grass I'm sure he'll notice even less.

Going from Mini to Medium has certainly made no difference to Eddie.

I have a series of photos showing that he regularly jumped 2ft over 15in jumps. Not the most economical jumper.

Pam

I have a mutant cocker who is a large, I know most of the Springers are now large but I don't know if he's one of the only large cockers. He doesn't notice but we didn't start to compete until the jumps came down as I didn't want him jumping the old full height. He is fairly fast but doesn't hit the poles so if we get round the course OK he should be getting clear rounds were others who are faster might make mistakes (thats my theory :laugh: )

Guest patch

Defa did`nt need to be measured but he is a very obvious Large, as is Fluke who is taller than Defa but still had to be measured - has had his first and even though I`m sure he wont shrink by several inches he has to have hi second measure anyway :rolleyes:

Silk has not been measured yet [ not old enough ]. When I tried with a tape measure she around 19" [ Large ] but when stood touching a measured Medium they are the same so I dont know for sure but I suspect she will measure Large though she seems really ickle to me. I`d like to see a more even range in the measuring for Medium but no doubt it won`t happen :angry:

Guest Potty

My lad is a small. People are always surprised when I tell them that, and look disbelievingly sometimes :D However, what they don't realise is that, from his mum's side of his breeding he is scent hound and is designed to be able to run along with his nose to the ground. So he has no real visible shoulder (or withers in horse language!). He actually goes up behind his shoulder. Quiite lucky really as, although he can jump the medium height he is much slower. Also he is quite a heavy dog in front, as well as deep chested with shortish front legs. I would be worried about the wear and tear on his joints. In fact I decided that if he had been measured as a medium I would withdraw him from competition and just run him in Allsorts so that he still got his agility 'fix'. However, he is well under the measure by virtually an inch! So I was worrying for nothing! :biggrin:

Soraya

• 2 weeks later...
Also he is quite a heavy dog in front, as well as deep chested with shortish front legs.Soraya

Perfect for running contacts - keeps the front end weighted down. :laugh:

Pam

Snitch will be a small as she is well under 15 inches.

Pauline

Small is 13.75 ins (35cm) or under now under KC rules - jumping 35cm max.

Still, if you think she's about 11ins, that would still be small, of course.

Pam