UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Can You Help

irons

This may be a bit long winded but please bear with me

My friends Auntie has dementia and at the moment is not too bad she has my friend to help when she can and has carers through the day

The problem will be ,in the future her little Yorkie Lulu,she is tiny, my friend has got to think of the time to come when her Auntie can not look after her !! as she has Paddy the Goldie now he is really good with other dogs Lulu included but the big but is Lulu who goes for him all the time i don't think she is used to other dogs as she doesn't go out much ,she does have the garden , i think some friends take her out occasionally but she isn't used to meeting other dogs

What i was wondering is there anybody who could rehome her ,when the time comes ,to another elderly person who maybe wants adog ,but not a puppy , we are not sure how old she is but have worked out she is most likely about 5 or 6 as she belonged to some else befor and my friends Auntie has had her for about 4 years .She is cute and very very tiny

This at the moment is just trying to make it a bit easier when the time comes for Auntie to need more care and Lulu not being able to go with her

It is a sad thing to think but Auntie is deteriating as the months go on and my friend has to worry about her and little Lulu Can anyone advise me what to tell her

Thanks Kay

There is quite a demand for teeny Yorkies for little old ladies, even grumpy ones that don't get on with other dogs, Oldies Club gets calls from people wanting them all the time. The fly in the ointment is that usually they cannot travel very far so can only consider dogs in their immediate area.

As Lulu is only 5-6, Oldies Club can't help - but if you put her up for private rehoming, do a nice poster and put it in the local library, church hall etc, and put her on all the forums (where grandchildren can see her and print out her details for their grannies!), I'm sure she would find another old lady who would love her dearly.

If they contact the local rescues in their area, they may already know of someone waiting.

There's some advice here on rehoming privately - http://www.oldies.org.uk/if_you_need_to_rehome.php

(Oldies used to keep a list of people wanting dogs, but because we cover the whole country, and get so many of these calls, we found that we were rarely able to match them up so stopped keeping the list.)

The Cinnamon Trust was set up to help the elderly keep their pets, and one of the services they offer is a rehoming service. If you join and register they guarantee to rehome your pet, or if its not suitable for rehoming for any reason they have two sanctuaries where the animals can live their lives out. They probably have more elderly people on their books than anyone else.

They also provide support, through volunteers, to help keep pets with their owners. Anything from vet trips to walks. And they keep a list of pet friendly care homes too, where pets can go in with their owners.

Because they deal with these issues all the time, I think they should be your first port of call.

www.cinnamon.org.uk

Many thanks for your replies i will certainly pass this on to my friend for when the sad time comes that little Lulu needs a new loving home :mecry: .At the moment she is fine but my friend can see the differance in her Aunts behavior almost every week Thanks again for the help :wub:

Kay