UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Laptop Help

merledogs

I've just bought myself this laptop for Christmas.

However, having not had a lappy at home before, I would appreciate some advice on what else I need to get set up so I can use it wirelessly.

Do I need a wireless broadband router and what else do I need please? (I am going to ask Talktalk who I have my broadband with for a free wireless router and if they don't give me one I will move elsewhere cos I've seen them advertised free).

I only want to use it wirelessly around the house, or where there are Wi-Fi hotspots.

Thanking you :flowers:

If its a new lappy, it will be wireless enabled, you will see a light similar to this light up (((!))) and that is your signal on the laptop..

You will need a router, best ones are netgear, these are normally around 50 quid or so, belkini also do one.

At the moment if you are broadband, wires etc, you will need your cables you connect to and your modem to start off with... then you open you router and start to transfer by connecting your broadband wires in and then it picks up the signal and you uplug the old modem and wires and off you go...

sounds complicated but it isnt really.. and they will have a step by step guide, normally takes around 15 mins to go wireless...

you dont need a hotspot.. bt have hotspots where even ifyour not a customer you can pay for it..

however 3 which i use on dongle have a wireless hotspot connector for 69 quid and you create your own wireless hot spot.. mi fi, which i prefer over wifi as your limited with wifi to so many yards, where as mi fi, you can take it out and about with you..

hope i havent confused you so much lol :rolleyes:

however 3 which i use on dongle have a wireless hotspot connector for 69 quid and you create your own wireless hot spot.. mi fi, which i prefer over wifi as your limited with wifi to so many yards, where as mi fi, you can take it out and about with you..

Do you pay a monthly fee with that though?

Thanks for the advice. :wacko::laugh:

Sorry to state the bleedin obvious Alex, if you are using a router already are you sure it isn't wireless, not all of them have aerials to make it obvious. For instance, this one router pic clicky clicky I'd be surprised if TT don't let you have one of them FOC, go through to retentions and threaten to leave if they don't :)

Precisely what I plan to do Paul :wink: The modem I have is ages old, I got it in 2005 when I was with the provider before Talktalk (can't remember who it was).

Am thinking of getting a basic TV package with Virgin anyway so I can watch Living/Sky One, so I may well switch to them for it anyway.

Yes, if you just want to use it on your own wireless network and other people's, you need a wireless router (well, there are other options, but a change of router is probably cheapest and easiest).

Personally I would say if you are really happy with the talktalk service otherwise, do think twice before you switch just to get a new router. There seem to be a lot of very poor and unreliable services out there, and a new router will only cost around 40 quid. But with a bit of luck they will give you one.

The wireless dongle type services are nice but expensive if you need to use the net a lot, and I understand that coverage still isn't that great outside the cities. Mark is always complaining that he can't use his on the train reliably when he has to go to London.

I have just signed up to a Virgin phone/broadband/telly bundle which is being set up on Saturday 5 December.

I have not been happy with the connectivity or service I've been getting from Talktalk for a while now, which is why I wanted to change, plus I want the Virgin telly stuff.

Thanks everyone for the advice :flowers:

Edited by merledogs

I got the first two months free for the telly & broadband on the deal off their website, plus free installation :flowers:

I've read all sorts of stories about Talktalk charging customers £70 for cancelling, even when they have gone past the mandatory 18 month contract and then sending the debt collectors in :angry: I didn't realise they used to be OneTel, who I've had a nightmare with previously, or I would not have touched them with a bargepole. Their customer services is closed for two days so I have emailed them re cancelling instead, but it looks like I may have a fight on my hands.

Edited by merledogs

More help needed please re this laptop! I want to buy a Firewire adapter which sits in the card slot, but I don't know which one will fit!

Which one of these will fit please?

This one:

http://it247.com/pro...er-2_ports.html

or this one:

http://it247.com/pro...=googleshopping

If neither, then what sort of adaptor do i need to fit in the slot (which just calls itself a Digital Media Slot on the bumf).