UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

20 Weeks Suspended - Are These People For Real?

Ian

Speaking of strange judgements (as I just was here http://www.therefuge.org.uk/forums/index.php?showtopic=49378 )

was it just me or was 20 weeks SUSPENDED a completely inadequate sentence for this young "mother"?

She abandons her children of 3 months to 4 years whilst going off on a booze & drugs binge at a house party. The poor children are found by her step father

"The eldest daughter was leaning out of the lounge window, was rain-soaked and had been crying, he said. (also said elsewhere to have been crying out "where's Mummy" :( :angry:

Stevenson's one-year-old son was "hysterical" in his cot upstairs.

The youngster was soaked in urine as was the three-month-old boy who was also covered in sick in his cot.

The four-year-old girl had tried to feed the baby by using chairs to climb up to a kitchen cupboard and reach a tin of milk powder."

The defence claimed "she was a 22-year-old with four young children by three different fathers who had found her life "extremely difficult and distressful".

There can be no doubt that this young woman was under a great deal of stress."

Presumably she's never heard of contraception - or abstinance (sex, drink or drugs):glare:

Judge Norman Wright, according to yesterdays news wanted to send out a message about this kind of behaviour :laugh: Like I said, another world to me. A curfew to someone who will quite happily leave their kids home alone, I'm sure she'll follow it religiously :mellow: Personally I'd have considered her to have got off lightly if she'd actually been given 20 weeks immediately. I don't care how stressed or depressed she was, her actions are unforgivable - it's not as if there isn't plenty of help out there these days :glare:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/lancashire/8362815.stm

I expect there was some plea bargaining went on there.

But what did she have to offer as her part of the "bargain"? If they'd given her 20 weeks of rehab and counselling they might have been doing her more of a favour than just setting her free to carry on not coping with life