UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Jack And The Window

Pendlewitch

I was lurking in the bedroom with the after effects of pig flu and OH came up and said why had I shut Jack out on the patio, it's peeing down and he was not happy. (Jack not OH). Said I hadn't and maybe the door had not been shut properly and he'd nipped out then the door had shut behind him. Five mins later OH is back up, Jack was outside again! Conclusion was that he was going up the step stool, out the window and jumping down on to the patio. But why on earth was he doing it, the stool has always been there and he's never tried it before.

Jack came down with me to make a brew and the TV pixilated and made a sort of cracking sound, Jack freaked and made a dash for the stool; I grabbed him just in time and stuffed him up the hall. It does possibly explain a previous incident when a plastic drawer unit had been pushed over and Jack was cowering behind the wreckage for no apparent reason. Will now have to switch off the TV when I am not in the room and put the radio on, well until he finds something about the radio that he can't cope with. He is the oddest dog, so many things freak him out, I have to make sure kitchen equipment does not make beeping sounds or set bells off, if the fire sensor ever goes off he'll probably have a heart attack!

Maybe when he gets older he will go a bit deaf and things won't bother him so much. Why are some dogs so noise sensitive, is it inbred or because of their past, it's a big puzzle.

Goodness how athletic! It's difficult about noises, my mother's dog Ronnie was like that for ages and it's such a relief now he has gone deaf and no longer feels the need to panic whenever the microwave pings!

She found that for Ronnie it was possible to redirect the worry into playing with a ragga toy, stopped him racing about and crashing into things - might be worth a try if you haven't already? :flowers:

Bugger, he's just tried again, it's def the TV, the cracking noise just sends him into orbit and distractions just do not work. Once he's lost the plot there is no reasoning with him and he has to be allowed to find a place where he feels secure and that's under the bed. I do ignore him, I just open the hall door and he bolts like a bat out of hell!

In the past if he has had access to the item that is terrorising him he has attacked and killed it, that's how my mobile phone died. He has attacked a rape alarm with hilarious results, that died too, :laugh: I can't really let him savage the TV though! The window is a real issue now as he has devised his escape route. I moved the stool but he pinged onto the worktop without any apparent effort.

I'm not hoping for deafness but a little hearing loss would be wonderful!

Celeste, I've tried just about everything on the market with no effect. When he's stressed he's just off the planet, it's not just things in the house either. We have huge problems outside, he can bolt at any noise, even a gate shutting with a bang or a heavy vehicle bonging in the distance. He is never off the lead but we have invented a super game for him to get some serious exercise. Jack is on a very very long clothesline, his jolly ball is unleashed, cue crazy half hour, it's the funniest thing ever. He just chases and chases with his nose, if he wasn't on the line I would loose him as he just does not stop. To get the ball back I have to whizz a bag over it and hoick it up out of his reach. But this bit is even odder, he became obsessed with the balls on the yard gate posts, I had to lift him up so he could find out that they were concrete! :biggrin:

Now he is lying on the bed with his feet in the air fast asleep!