UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Crb Checks

cycas

A friend of mine is trying to set up a small home based business as a childminder. She has a little girl of her own and this seems like a good way for her to be able to spend time with her daughter rather than going out to work and paying someone else.

She's done all the research and preparation, and is now just waiting for her CRB check to come through so she can get started. It's coming up to 4 months since she applied, and still no sign of the CRB check - so she can't start her business, or get any other job working with children to tide her over - she can't even get a seasonal job with the Royal Mail, because for that, you need a CRB check... :wacko:

I have to say I'm pretty dubious about this system anyway: so far as I can see it deters genuine volunteers and people like my friend, while being no great obstacle to people who do have bad intentions but haven't yet been caught. It's her third CRB check in 5 years, too, so why on earth it's taken so long is a mystery.

I've passed that link on, thanks. I'm guessing she's used it already, but worth a try.

Apparently Ofsted sat on it for almost a month before sending it on, then it was sent back to them because it wasn't properly countersigned by the Ofsted guys, so that accounts for 6 weeks of the delay. Latest she heard is that it's with the police, where it has been for the last 50 days. There doesn't seem to be any way of finding out who exactly has got it, what it's doing there or when it will be coming back. :huh:

I doubt that you'll have much joy in speeding them up I'm afraid but re the Royal Mail they do the checks, she wouldn't have to get one so she probably could get the temporary job in the meantime if she wants to.

One tv news report recently claimed they were just taking on temporary staff unchecked / regardless of convictions anyway :unsure:

I doubt that you'll have much joy in speeding them up I'm afraid but re the Royal Mail they do the checks, she wouldn't have to get one so she probably could get the temporary job in the meantime if she wants to.

It would still have to go through the same system ultimately though, so I think she's concerned that having another check put through might cause confusion or in some way delay the first one.

One tv news report recently claimed they were just taking on temporary staff unchecked / regardless of convictions anyway :unsure:

If the checks are now taking 4 months, I can see why! I understand that more and more jobs and even quite casual volunteer roles are now demanding CRB checks, it sounds to me as though things might be getting clogged by the sheer volume.

Hello

I work in CRB at my local police force. We get phone calls everyday from people wanting to expedite their application. We then prioritise them and let them know what's happening with it within 30 minutes (this is all part of the Citizen Focus pledge that we have signed up to).

I would get your friend to phone the police force that the application is with and ask them to expedite it.

Hope that helps

That would be great, but she has been told that she's not allowed to know which police force has got the application until they've had it for 60 days, so at the moment she cannot contact them as she doesn't know who has got it.

Because it took so long for the form to be sent off to the police, they have only had it for 50 days so far, so she has another 10 days to wait. :(

That would be great, but she has been told that she's not allowed to know which police force has got the application until they've had it for 60 days, so at the moment she cannot contact them as she doesn't know who has got it.

Because it took so long for the form to be sent off to the police, they have only had it for 50 days so far, so she has another 10 days to wait. :(

She could try phoning every police force she has lived in for the last 5 years and asking them if they have it, depends how desparate she is really.

The silly thing is that she's been working voluntarily with a local children's group for 3 years, so has already had all the checks once. But because you have to be re-checked for each thing you want to use the CRB check for, she can't use that check to start her business. I think it's pretty daft that she had to pay for the check to be done again, when the poor woman has practically no money because she can't earn, because the CRB check is stuck...

I get the impression that the requirement for CRB checks is putting off a lot of volunteers: it would certainly put me off if I had to wait 4 months before I could volunteer to help out with something! A different friend of mine does talks about science and careers for schoolchildren as a volunteer sometimes: she's got 3 concurrent CRB checks so far, but has now decided that she's just going to refuse to help with anything else that requires one because of the hassle factor.

It's not like the checks even stop people molesting kids : Aaron Collis and Vanessa George both had clean CRB checks, because neither of them had been caught before. :glare: