UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Council House Swap

BillyMalc

As you might have guessed from random posts, I am totally fed up with living in Manchester. In about 6 months my job will come to an end, and I intend to move away from Manc as soon as possible after I've closed the door to the office behind me (I've committed to staying till the end, so that's what I'll do - moaning n all :wacko:). Now, renting with 2 dogs appears to be a bit of a problem and I would be leaving a council flat that's a mere 10 minute walk from the city centre, so I thought that swapping homes might be an option. Would anyone know what would be the best way to go about this? I've seen a few home swapping sites, but are they reliable and can you just advertise your home on one of them and simply swap when the right offer comes along? One of my old neighbours spent 7 years waiting for the right offer to materialise (I don't intend to wait that long! :ohmy:) but now lives in a gorgeous little house up in Scotland, with a view of the Isle of Skye (not jealous, honest!). Any advice much appreciated! :flowers:

Why the heck should you do the work. It isn't your property/responsibility.

I don't need to do anything, I just need to allow them into my flat to do the work, which will prolly be about end of January and will take about a month :ohmy: Don't know what's worse: them doing it or giving me the flat packs and a screw driver - me thinks I'd prefer the last option, but they're not giving me that one :wacko:

Just a thought if you dont want council, not saying against council i had some lovely properties from councils... but when we were thinking about moving north... we contacted national trust properties and we were offered a lovely cottage in the middle of the moors with hill side views etc etc... but sadly family committments stopped us from taking it and we bought our own house..

However some of the areas they have they are very select and you have to have a tie with that area, eg born in that area, but they have secret stash of houses... :biggrin:

Also apply to councils directly.. and get on their lists..

Homeswap is the national one for moving etc and you fill in form, and it goes on a printed list and if someone wants your and vice versa and you are good tenants councils cant refuse you unless u getting a 5 bed room house and theirs only a couple of you.. i would challenge your council about the work needs to be done thats their problem not yours x