UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

A Dilemma Involving Tea And Biscuits

purple_mog

I know it doesn't sound like an important issue, but it really really is! I'm organising occasional seminars alongside our dog training classes in York and the first one is tomorrow night :wacko: on loose lead walking strategies.

We're offering hot drinks and biscuits halfway through - fine, except I'm vegan (a new one too) and am in a bit of a quandry about this. Its only just occurred to me because I rarely eat biscuits and drink my tea/coffee black anyway.

Should I buy milk (for others to use) or ask Janet who is doing part of the seminar to bring milk (thus passing the buck!). Do I take soy milk and only offer that? Do I buy vegan biscuits (quite hard to find), normal biscuits or bake some tonight???

I kind of go with the view that its not my job to preach at other people for their choices BUT I do care quite strongly about where my money goes :unsure:

You can still be vegan even if everyone else gets what they like - it doesn't mean you've sacrificed your own beliefs does it?

I assume they pay for the classes - so in a way it's actually their money not yours that you'll be spending. Buy the biscuits, milk etc & let 'em have them. If they enjoy it they come back. If they come back you (presumably) generate more income and get the pleasure of your work too - so everyone should be happy :flowers:

Hobnobs are vegan - at least they were a while ago (I don't eat biscuits anymore). Some ginger biscuits are vegan (Waitrose organic ones are yummy)and some supermarket own brand digestives are. I think Garibaldi may be but can't remember :rolleyes:

I'd pass the buck on the milk - even being vegan I wouldn't thank you for soya milk in my tea :laugh:

ETA Some brands of fig rolls are vegan too :)

Edited by mooandboo

Hobnobs are vegan - at least they were a while ago (I don't eat biscuits anymore). Some ginger biscuits are vegan (Waitrose organic ones are yummy)and some supermarket own brand digestives are. I think Garibaldi may be but can't remember :rolleyes:

I'd pass the buck on the milk - even being vegan I wouldn't thank you for soya milk in my tea :laugh:

Ah - excellent ideas there! I don't really ever eat biscuits (avoid too much wheat) so am useless! And I think soy milk in anything apart from a latte is icky in terms of drinks, but some people like it...

Ian - actually it is my money that's buying the refreshments as this is a one off seminar and nominal attendance charge to cover hall rental, plus I would rather not spend the money on something like that. I even make my own vegan training treats to offer to people in class rather than buy cheese or sausage :cool:

If you have advertised this seminar to have tea and biccies provided then thats what you will need to provide. Tesco do vegan digestives and bourbons, which to a hethen like me arnt the best taste but I would assume you'd just bought a budget pack and not be too @rsed. I would however be more than a tad p*ssed off to find the only available milk was soy if i was looking forward to a brew. Its an aquired taste and not one Ive managed to aquire :laugh:

If you are not comfy buying bog standard or even organic milk, get someone else to buy it for you. Your customers may well be attending for the training, but you cant really expect them all to have your principles for their everyday life :flowers:

oh the conflict!!!

Janet is bringing the milk (actually she doesn't mind it with soy milk) and I am bringing biscuits so moral dilemma resolved. We will be having gingernuts, hobnobs and other lovely biscuits :biggrin:

re: the milk thing, if I have to buy it then yes I would opt for organic and I'll need to figure something out for myself since at some point it would be nice if these things are financially self-sustaining :rolleyes:

Really? fig rolls & ginger biscuits I can happily eat but wouldn't get excited about. If you offer me hob nobs, digestives or garibaldis though I'm more than happy. :cool:

Think I'm still in the heathens camp with Helly though as Soya milk I definitely don't like.