UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Why Doesnt She Lick?

Cafferysmum

One of our dogs who came to us on foster just doesnt lick..

Last year we bumped into a behaviourist and she said its to do with dominance etc ... not sure i believe this.. shes at the bottom of the pack, doesnt want to be top dog or top female.. she will lick her puppy who is 11 months old and kiss her but all our other dogs will lick or come up and give us a peck or lick us to annoy the hell out of us in the morning to get out of bed.. :happy:

But not one lick unless you got something really tasty on yer hands lol.. thats different.. just find it weird as every dog i have ever known has always licked..

She is a confident dog, very happy, chilled out girly.. even when lottie bullies her she just walks round her and doesnt give a monkies.. :rolleyes:

Yet her daughter will run up to you give you a quick kiss and cuddle and lick and off she goes..

or is it that not all dogs lick? just interested ... or maybe she thinks we stink and we not lickable :laugh: :laugh:

Neither Dex or Fleur are very lickey to human dogs unless you have something tasty in your mouth or on your hands but they are both snuggly and affectionate. I have however been woken up in the early hours by Dex snogging the face off me after a particularly strong curry before :D

Two of my past bridge dogs have been real lickers - Daisy loved summer when she could lick my bare feet and really get in between my toes, she'd go on for ages and Laika just couldn't resist a slurp of bare flesh, many a sunbather in the park was woken up by licky Laika.

Edited by chickentikka

Ted Bear doesn't lick unless I've been away for a longer time than usual and I pick him up for a cuddle, or specifically ask for a kiss (how does that make me sound :laugh: ), it's an occasion when he does.

He's not a fussy dog by nature, prefers you to be doing something active instead. Can't see how it really has any connection whatosever with dominance!!!!!! He's just not that type of boy :wink: :wub: Jack puppy on the other hand could lick you until you shone :biggrin:

i cant see where dominance comes into it either, and the dominance theory is very outdated as a behaviour tool in any case.

maybe your girly, as a rescue was taught not to lick as a puppy and is just showing good manners, or maybe shes just not licky (oh to have not licky dogs) :laugh:

Kiera will give me a kiss when I come home and sometimes when I ask for it - although not when I'm cleaning her paws, coz she hates that :laugh: It's taken quite some time of building trust before she would give a kiss, and other than the "helloooo, you're home, MWAH!" kiss, she's not very kissy at all.

Sparks on the other hand can barely watch any bare skin go by without wanting to lick you - gets a bit tiring sometimes :rolleyes:

I think the behaviourist might have a few issues with being a bit outdated :unsure:

Nearly all of my dogs , past and present (all rescues), have been lickers although some you kept away from your face as a lick was sometimes a prelude to a quick nip!

I had a very aloof little collie x who hadn't licked in 15 years and in the year before his death when he was beginning to sufferg from dementia he occasionally lick ed my hand or face if I was giving him a cuddle. A long time to wait but very worthwhile!