UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Are Your Dogs Hungrier In Cold Weather?

Spins4me

My two aren't normally food driven. I don't have a regular feeding time for them, they're fed late afternoon/evening and don't normally ask for their dinner. I've noticed over the past couple of days that as the temperature has dropped they've been hanging around apparently wanting to be fed.

Their food is also disappearing very quickly, depending on what they have it can usualy take them up to 45 mins to eat a meal, but at the moment it's not touching the sides.

Just wondering if the cooler weather affects other dog's appetites?

I think it does, in cold weather they are using more energy to keep warm (despite our warm homes)I also wonder if the decreasing daylight hours has a hormonal effect that makes them eat more (just thought of that one )Certainly in warm weather my two (and previous two) eat very little,and eat more in cold weather, I know I feel the same, who doesn't like a big plate of mince and tatties when there's a nip in the air ( except for all the veggies, you can have quorn and tatties :biggrin: )

Yes I think they are. It's not noticeable with my current mob but has been with others. So not all Spins are mad on food then. Issie used to drive us up the wall for her grub. If she was awake in the morning it was breakfast time and she had us all up with her various noises. It will be interesting when we get another Spin to learn what was to do with the breed and what was Issie.

My 2 labs are permanently ready to eat and one is on steroid treatment so it's difficult to tell! However, my other dog , a 13 yr. old collie x, has become much hungrier with the onset of the colder weather and polishes off her food and will beg off my plate as well, which she doesn't normally do. My cats are also eating more.