UA-12921627-3 Jump to content

Warning....

dawnhughes

Just thought I would warn others about the dangers of wasps. Yesterday at Bidston Hill I took 7 of our dogs. Had been there about an hour and the dogs were having fun. Went in to the wooded area of the walk and noticed the dogs started bhaving erratically one by one. Skye came over (which she does when she has hurt herself) yet I couldnt see anything on her. Then I noticed a load of buzzing. A WASPS NEST!!! Looked for Millie (8mth border terrier) and she was trapped in the bushes behind it. When I say she was covered in wasps I mean COVERED!!! Luckily I had my thick coat on so I zipped it up and got a lead round her neck (collar was covered in wasps) Unfortuantly Skye had followed me in to get her and as a result now had about 50wasps on her. They dont train you this in the dog owning mannual!!!!

Anyways as no water nearby I firstly tried to get a distance away and then had to try and kick/knock them off the dogs. Unfortuantly Skye by this point bolted (when scared she runs to the safest place she last rememebers) Millie by this point had gone quite lythargic so had to carry her and we ran back the car. Give them their due the dogs were good as gold despite having wasps bite them. Luckily Skye was by the car. Had to inspect each dog separetly before getting them in the car as all had at least 5 on them. Skye and Millie came off the worst. Worried I phoned the vets but as it were dinner the nearest time they could fit us in was 3pm. They were very helpful though. Bathed Millie when I got home (as she had poo'd herself in fear ) Managed to pull 8 stings from her face and ear Ruby collie had a fat lip and one on her bum. Alfie cocker had one on his pad and ear. Skye luckily didnt seem to have any that I could see but hard to see in her coat! She had been twitching for a while after so I imagine she had a few..

Millie was sick twice last night but all dogs seem no worse off for the inncident!! Other now than being scared of flys. One came in the room last night and 2 of them bolted out the room I still am scared to death of the horrible things!! One is bad enough! This was a nightmare

Was very scary! Just a warning to others to watch out for them. This nest was simply in the ground so was no way of seeing it till it was too late!

As I said they dont teach you this in the dog owning mannual!!!

Flippin heck! That sounds horrendous! You can give dogs piriton if they get stung to help stop allergic reaction. Vet should have told you that on the phone though if it was an emergency. Hope there are no lasting effects from the stings. Having one is bad enough, never mind loads of them. :GroupHug:

Great minds think alike Andrea, I was just about to post about the Piriton myself. Young Chloe got stung on her nose out on one of walks in the woods down here in France this week and as I didn't know what it was and she was pretty unhappy about the whole thing, I gave her a Piriton just to be on the safe side.

Poor you and poor dogs. I am not surprised they are frightened of buzzing things after a horrendous thing like that.

Group_Hug_Emoticon.gif for you all

That is my worst nightmare. I am terrified of the flipping things.run4hills.gif

When Flynn (bridgedog) disturbed a nest hubby managed to get most of them off. I was taking the stings out all over. Gave him piriton on the vets advice.

When we had him clipped, we counted over 50 places where he had been stung.ohno01.gif He was one lucky little dog.

Hope all your hounds have a speedy recovery.Group_Hug_Emoticon.gif

What a horrible experience for you all. I hope they all recover from their ordeal soon :GroupHug:

Just a thought but did you tell whoever owned the land you walked on, they might want to remove the nest or else put up a warning sign so other dogs/children don't get stung :flowers: